65th Commemoration Weekend Of The Battle Of Arnhem

Arnhem Travel Blog

Friday 18th September 2009

We arrived in Arnhem about 11am as we early out hotel room was not ready which is understandable as check out was 11am. but they did let us leave our cases in a locked cupboard so we didn't need to take it with us which was great. We went off to get something to eat, we ended up in a small Cafe in Kronmarkt, the service was good but we were the only ones there, the food was good although there was alot of sauce in the burger lol. We checked in to our hotel at about 1pm it was so nice to get to lie down lol. I went out in the evening and met up with some people I had met from previous years we spent most of the night at the Bloopers and then went onto the Uni Bar. Admittedly I got a bit drunk and got back to the hotel at about 4am and woke my mum up she wasn't to happy about that.

Saturday 19th September 2009

Today was the day of the jump but unfortunately after my late night I got up to late and missed it. We ventured out and done a bit of shopping and had lunch at Mcdonalds, the mayonnaise there is fab. I went out again and spent the night at the Bloopers and had an earlyish night at 1am.

Sunday 20th September 2009

Today was the day of the service at the cemetery in Oosterbeek, we arrived at 9am the service didn’t start until 10am but with 40,000 people in the town for the weekend we thought we had better get there early. the service was very moving as always but more so this year as my grandfather who was an Arnhem veteran had passed away and this was my first time there without him.

After the service I placed a poppy cross on the grave of my grandfathers best friend who was killed in the battle in 1944. as the museum was re opening after a facelift we decided to go later and went back to Arnhem, We spent the evening packing and went for a meal at the Steak House in Luthersestraat which is a side street off of Kronmarkt, the food is great I would recommend the mixed grill or Pork in a mushroom sauce.

Monday 21st September 2009

We got up early today and went to the Airborne Museum in Oosterbeek, as we were flying home we didn’t have time to look round so just brought a few things in the shop including the book Airborne Memorial Service by Laurens Van Aggelen which I am in talking about my grandads time and my feelings about going to Arnhem. We eventually got to the Airport our trains kept breaking down.

Was a great trip had a few problems like the trains and my drink exploding in my bag and turning my white fleece orange and catching a cold lol but the good outweighed the bad and i cant wait to go back in September.

Arnhem