Slowly Getting Ready

Denver Travel Blog

My new backpack!

So I just created this blog in hopes of getting myself more mentally prepared for this big tirp I'm about to embark on.  I am hoping that by starting this blog (which I'm keeping my fingers crossed I will actually use) I can keep in better touch with friends and family back home, or at least let them know what I am up to.  I've never been much for diaries or consistently writing about my life, but maybe starting this blog will force me to do so for once!

I'm very excited today since I finally picked up my backpack from REI!  Makes it seem more real that I'm actually going.  I got a Gregory Jade 60L and after trying it on in the store with weights and walking around a bit I'm a little worried it'll be too big, but then again I will be gone for a year!  Wow, that sounds like a long time.  I also booked my flight from NYC to Seattle today.  From there I'll head to Vancouver for a few days and then am off to Beijing!  Haven't yet booked my flight for that yet - should probably get on that - just being indecisive as to what flight to choose.  Air China is by far the cheapest and the only nonstop flight, yet I've read some pretty bad reviews on them so am now trying to decide if I should just sit and deal with it for 11 hours or splurge for more comfort.  I'm usually one to choose cheap over pretty much anything else, so I'll probably end up with that!

I leave for home in three weeks from yesterday.  Crazy!  I can't believe that I'll be leaving Denver soon.  I love it here.  I love my friends here, I love the snowboarding here.  Don't love my job here.  I've made a sort of Denver Bucket List and so far I've done almost everything.  All that's left is the Botanical Gardens (doing that Monday) and snowmobiling.  Not sure if that last one is going to happen, it's pretty expensive and I don't think any of my friends are going to want to go, but oh well.  10 out of 11 isn't bad.

Hm, what else to write?  I told you I wouldn't be any good at this.  I guess I'll talk about what I'm most concerned about.  I'm nervous about the reality of being totally alone and on my own for such a long time.  I've always thought of  myself as a bit of a loner.. seriously haha.. and don't mind doing things by myself, however, I've always had friends and family to soon return to.  But to be completely alone for so long, woah.  I know I'll meet tons of people on the road and even travel for shorter periods with people I meet, but it won't be the same as having that constant support system or even just a place to call my own, to retreat to when I need to feel comfortable and safe.  I'm also concerned about leaving behind all of my friends and them establishing their lives, getting their careers started and making real 'progress' towards what our society has led us to believe is good and worthwhile.  Ah, but I'm not going to get into that now.

Back to fun stuff!  What I'm most excited for: complete independence and freedom, meeting new and interesting people, seeing sights I have only dreamed of, having experiences I can't have at home, livin' as opposed to living, and most of all, not having any regrest about at least not trying this!

Marcopolo1 says:
Wow, this trip sound very exciting. Are you spending the rest of your time in China? What country are you hitting next?
Posted on: Mar 16, 2010