Pints & Banter in Londontown

London Travel Blog

Piccadilly Circus
I had decided to take the quick flight from Shannon over to London to visit a friend from college. The flight on Ryanair only cost me €10.00, it cost me more to get to the airport than to get to London. I had never been before, so I was a bit nervous flying into Stansted and finding my way to King's Cross train station to meet her. I got the train and found my way and we met up and went for pints after I dropped my bag at her house.
After a few pints and catching up, we met up with a few of her friends- I still hadn't eaten a proper meal (only a muffin at the Shannon Airport) So I was well steamed wandering around the city with her and on the tube. All in good fun though!
They next day we decided to do some touristy things, we saw the London Eye, Houses of Parliament and Big Ben, (which I found not to be as big as I thought it would be!) We went to Trafalgar Square, it was all how it had looked in movies I'd seen before.
London Eye
I was on a tight budget so we didn't go on the London Eye, but I have heard that you can get some amazing views from the top, which I can imagine. It was a clear but cold day and the sun was shining, which was lovely and surprising for January.
The girl I was visiting was American like myself, so she was happy to be relate back to the "home country" which I understood as I was living in Ireland. I found the Londoners very abrasive and not all that welcoming, perhaps it was what I had been told so I went in slightly biased. I still want to live in London someday, but this wasn't the enticement I was looking for. I have a good few English friends from up the country and they are far more friendly than Southern Englishmen. I had a great time in London, the shopping was great! (The pound to the euro at the time was almost on par, so I was able to get some great deals.) I hope to go back soon and do some more sight seeing, shopping and maybe see a show. This trip was mostly just catching up with a friend on a quick trip over. London is a busy city and probably should be seen if you're heading through England most because of all of the iconic sights within the city.
Houses of Parliament