The Beginning

Denver Travel Blog

Its a quarter to 4 in the morning and I don't have to be up for another 45 minutes, but here I am, awake.  Ugh.

My life this past year has been a time of undecissions.  Up until 2009, my life has been full of travel and adventures, 2009 was the first year I stayed home.  It was a change for me.  I wanted to go back to the ship, but money was tight and I felt guilty about leaving work so soon after I had come back.  So I waited.  I saved.  2010 wasn't looking promising for returning to the ship.  Still I was short on funds and the need on the ship wasn't there.  I was stuck.

On January 12, 2010, the capital of Haiti, Port au Prince, was hit by a 7.0 earthquake.  The death toll has reached 212,000 people.  People were trapped in rubble for days, some even weeks, living on what little food and water they can find.  Survivors are struggling with illness, homelessness, hunger, and fears.  I knew I could do something to help, that I needed to do something.

I contacted Mercy Ships to see what they were doing to help with the relief efforts, they passed my name onto a group called Mercy Works, who were putting teams together every week to send to Haiti.  I immidiantly added my name to the list and waited to hear back.  After, what seemed like forever, I got word that I was on the Feb 8th trip.  I told my work, who were supportive in my mission to help.  So now, almost a month later, I'm off.

I'm not sure what to expect.  I've heard that I might be staying in a tent city outside the airport in Port au Prince, or at a refugee camp outside the city.  I might work in a hospital, I might work in a clinic.  There may or may not be running water or electricity.  I honestly don't know what I'll be doing until I get there.  I'm not sure if I'll be able to update this blog until I get home.  So bare with me!  I should be home on Feb 20- if they get the airport in Port au Prince open by then!

I believe that God made it possible for me to go to Haiti.  He knew there was a greater need for me to be closer to home.  Whats that old saying, "when God closes a door, He opens a window".  Africa didn't have a need for me this year, but Haiti did.  So where He calls, I go.

So begins another adventure...

sarahsan says:
Congrats on being featured Jen! It is so well deserved! Fantastic blog! Thanks for sharing!
KeikoCreative says:
Congrats on your featured!
Vanessa_Mun_Yee says:
I am proud of you for what you have done! Congrats on being featured!
Denver