Day trip to Copan ruin in Honduras
Honduras Travel Blog› entry 3 of 4 › view all entries
I canceled spanish class on Wednesday and reserved day trip tour to Copan ruin in Honduras.
- 4:00am supposed to be picked up, but delay is normal here
- 4:50am be picked up 13 passengers on 11 seaters van - it's normal, too
- 11:00am border of Guatemala & Honduras (passport check, pay fees)
- 11:30am Finally got to Copan ruin - we had only 1:30 hours to explore the ruin !
- 1:00pm left the Ruin
- 3:00pm-5:00pm Driver disappeared. all passenger were left on the way ....missing action
- 8:00pm came back to Antigua
Copan ruin is designated as world heritage site in 1980 for it's lavish Mayan cluture, rich stone sculptures and intricate hieroglyphs.
It was day trip from Guatemala to Honduras, and it was not enough to know Honduras. Since I joined the most inexpensive tour, we had to share small van with bunch of people with lugguage. The driver had to pick up / drop off people at many stops. In the morning, there was 15 people, but everybody went to different destination. Only 2 people stayed to get to Copan ruin. In returning, more people got on Van. On the half way, one couple had a trouble by misconnecting bus, so driver left other 12 passengers without telling anything. We were left 2 hours.What a tour, right ? When I got back to Antigua, I realized that I was so exausted and had a neck pain due to long driving on the rough road in packed small van.
Overall, it was great experience to reminds me of my younger backpaking era.