Off to Sabang for the Underground river tour

Sabang Travel Blog

April 13. 2009

Woke very early to go to the San Jose Market/Terminal. First trip to Sabang where the Underground River is leaves at 7am. After 2-3hours of a very bumpy ride since its only the beginning they have paved road, the rest on the way is 1/2 rough road and 1/2 under construction. Arrived in Sabang and then right away went to the information center for the permit/entrance fee to go to the underground river. From there a banca will take to to the docking place then walk to the "jungle trail" to where you can take a canoe to go to the river. I wasn't that impressed with it. It was dark, eerie and full of bats! The tour takes about 45 minutes and the tour guide points to you formations that look like Jesus, Holy Family, Dinosaur, Puso and etc.
inside the jeep
Although, we were the ones in front and in charge of the light, we had a lot of bloopers and which I'm sure the other people in the boat got annoyed. hahahahaha.. like when the guide kept saying "right. right." then we thought we were already pointing the light to the right but it was pointing to the left instead and when he kept saying "baba" I kept pointing the light upwards because I thought "baba" means up! hahahaha.. when in reality "baba" means down in Tagalog

For me, you can do without the Underground River tour but since this is so hyped up to be one of the new 7 wonders of the world, visit the place and take the tour so that you wouldn't have to wonder what's it really all about. Some people were really impressed with it and like it.

After the tour, we headed back to Sabang pier/port and had lunch in one of the "resorts". Then we took the bus going back to Puerto Princesa that leaves at 2:30pm but as usual, the Filipino time syndrome we left around 3:30pm waiting for other people.

Now our mistake was that we could have brought our bags with us to Sabang and took a banca from Sabang to El Nido and approximate travel time was still 6-8hours on the banca.
photo by: kremheild