El Nido

El Nido Travel Blog

April 14, 2009

We woke up at the crack of dawn or even before that because we had to pack all our stuff. And trust me, this is not the only time we had to pack our stuff during the duration of the trip. We went back to San Jose Terminal/Market to ride a van that goes to El Nido. We already reserved seats the previous day while we were there on our way to Sabang. First trip leaves at 7am but you have to be there before 7am. Other choices to go to El Nido would be either by chartered plane, a 4-6hr banca ride from Sabang or Port Barton. Anyway, as usual and true to the Filipino time we left the terminal about 8am already. One thing about the van trip, the driver drives like a maniac! There's this part where it had a lot of turns, he really gave a new meaning to the words "long and winding road" (But we found out later on that all drivers drive like a maniac), no wonder there were bars on the on the inside roof to hold on to dear life.
After a quick brunch at some unknown Vietnamese Restaurant, about 60% of the trip was already on rough road. Imagine you're not only getting a van ride to El Nido but you're also experiencing a roller coaster-ish ride and a first hand experience on what it feels to be a sardine in a tin can. But at least "nothing" happened along the way, the van just "over-heated" compared to the experiences of others where I read that flat tires or being stuck in the mud is a guarantee. So safe to say we had a "uneventful" 6 hour ride to EL NIDO.

We arrived to El Nido town about 2pm and from the bus/van terminal, we headed to Marina Garden where we checked in and right away went out to explore the town and had late lunch in the Art Cafe. We rented a kayak and paddled our way to one of the beaches but we already asked the for a contact number just in case we get lost or could not make it back to town and needed some rescuing.
el nido
Now we had to take all precaution because based from previous experience in Boracay 3 years ago where we could not get back to shore and had to scream for help and asked someone to bring us back.

After kayaking, first we were amazed that we saw jellyfishes but after awhile, everywhere in the water was jellyfishes! I then had flashes in my head that the kayak would turn over and we'd be stung by them. We were surprised that we were actually about to reach the beach but we didn't go down since it was getting dark and the beach started to look creepy.

April 15, 2009

Once again we woke up at the crack of dawn. Not to pack but to go jogging in the beach before we meet up for diving.
a sign of things to come
Michelle we on diving for the day, while I had to snorkel around although, I was the only one snorkeling around while the rest scuba dived. I wanted to do the "try diving" but the master diver said that it wasn't possible because he was the only one handling the group. Oh well. At least I know now that you can just actually float when you wear a wet suit! Oh yeah, there was this time where I drifted far away from the boat because of the current was getting strong and I was the only on in the sea since the others were diving. I got to the point where I was getting tired to swim/splash around to the boat where I kept saying "MAHIRAP NA AKO! MAHIRAP NA AKO! MAHIRAP NA AKO!" The entire time the guy who was left in the boat JUST LOOKED AT ME!!!!!! When I finally reached the boat and when the divers came back, I told Michelle what happened at me.
kayaking to the near by island
She laughed so hard and I was wondering why then she told me that I was actually saying to the guy "I'm POOR! I'm POOR! I'm POOR!" when I should have said, "nahihirapan na ako or napapagod na ako". Then the other people in the group asked what happened to me and one of them asked me why didn't I just say it in English! hahahahaha.. I swear all the words just flew out of my mind. And mind you this is not the only blooper I have.

When we came back to town, we were already late for the cliff climbing/trekking and they already canceled on us, we just opted to do the sunset cruise where we did more camwhoring than watching the sunset. hahahaha..

After the sunset cruise, we only had little energy to eat dinner and snooze since we had to leave to Coron early morning the next day.

There was not enough time to explore El Nido at all! To think that El Nido is composed of about 45 island and islets..
attack of the jellyfish
attack of the jellyfish
Whoa. All those beer for 1 tiny to…
Whoa. All those beer for 1 tiny t…
El Nido town