The Day After the Blizzard

Springfield Travel Blog

Snowy branches

Between shoveling sessions on Sunday morning, I went for a walk around the neighborhood. I'd like to be able to report from other parts of the Washington region--but there was no way to get there today! As it was, I walked about two miles, in snow ruts in neigborhood streets and on some plowed areas. Everyone was shoveling. I passed the local fire station--which had been plowed--where a more reasonable passage began. That street took me up to the Fairfax County Parkway interchange. Hmm, a VDOT pickup truck had become stuck there. I took photos and spoke with other walkers. One was on her way to mass at St. Raymond's. It was open, but many churches had called off services.

There was little traffic on the normally busy Parkway, an occasional car and a brigade of snowpolows.

Sunday morning
Returniing back, residents were friendly and eagar to say hello and share information. A few AWD vehicles were driving out, but as many were getting stuck. Some side streets were untouched. People were walking to the shopping center and grocery store just off the Parkway. Our driveway is now clear to the street, and we cleared a bit of the street, too. But it's not very drivable. We'll see what happens tomorrow. (My office is closed.)

The weather report Sunday evening is for 5-6 inches more snow overnight on Tuesday!

Monday Update: VDOT is using earth moving equipment brought from the southern part of the state to try to move piles of snow off the major roadways. Groups of neighbors are gathering together to shovel their residential streets. (I worked with another neighbor to make our street passable.) Some homes remain without electricity. The federal government will be closed a second day on Tuesday. The Washington weather forecast now calls for 10-15 inches of new snow by Wedensday afternoon. (The additional snow could make this the snowiest Washington winter since official records have been kept.)

The big dig