Destination Puno

Puno Travel Blog

From La Raya, the train continued its journey across the Altiplano. We could see the cordillera with its tall snow capped peaks runing contiually alongside our route. I had an AM  radio and could pick up a number of staions with local music and announcemetns. Four years of high school Spanish enabled me to generally make out much of the announcements and also read the newspapers.

Late in the afternoon, the train reached Juliaca, the junction point for the railway line on to Arequipa.

We arrived in Puno in the early evening after the 11-hour trip from Cusco. Puno, situated on Lake Titicaca, presented a hardscrabble appearance. It was after dark by the time we reached the Hotel Turistas and I did not get to see a great deal of the surroundings. It was cold that night at the hotel. I don't think they had any heat. "This place is like a tomb!" quipped Valene, veteran of many an adventure in travel. We wrapped up in blankets and slept wearing all our clothes and jackets. It was like camping indoors. (Of course, this was winter in the southern hemisphere and we were at high altitude at 3827 m or 12,628 ft.) I've since camped in below freezing temperatures, but I don't think I've ever felt as cold as I did that night at the hotel in Puno.

Altiplano