Start Spreading The News

New York Travel Blog

I'm leaving today :(

Was up and all packed and checking out at 10am. It was only then I noticed the sign at reception saying check out had to be by midday. Still I wanted to have one last stroll around the streets. I was able to leave my bag in a locked store room at the hotel, so I wouldn't have the burden of having to carry that.Went to get the subway, but had hassle getting ticket, so I decided to walk. It had been snowing again overnight so it all looked really nice.

Went down to Columbus Circle,and had a last look in Central Park before heading down to Carnegie Hall. Hadn't got round to this yet, but wanted to see it as Carnegie was a Scot, and there is a Carnegie Hall here, in Dunfermline, but it is nowhere near the size :D. Cut along and ended up walking down Madison .

Chrysler Building
I was quite happy just wandering the streets, as part of the whole thing I loved about New York was the feel of the place. I had one more postcard to send, so I bought it and went into Starbucks, down by the Empire State, to have some tea and to write the card.

Was sitting doing that when I got a message from Stephanie(Transitory) to see if we could still meet up, and arranged for Chelsea Market at 1-30pm. Thinking it through I decided to go back and pick up my bag, as by the time I had met Transitory it would be around time for me to head for my train to the airport. Walked along past Macy's and jumped the subway back up to 72nd Street. With that done I headed down to Chelsea Market.

Because of being down in the subway, the messages hadn't been getting through, and I was already at Chelsea when Stephanie asked if I was still wanting to go there.

Macy's
She hadn't got my reply and was still in Brooklyn :O, though she said she would leave right away. Gave me a chance to look about and I went through Chelsea Market where there are loads of little cafes, and looks a great place to get something to eat. Came back out and walked around the streets and stumbled upon another place I had intended lookking for, High Line Park.

Climbed up the stairs to get to it, and walked a small section of it before deciding it was time to turn back and head for the market. Waited outside and Stephanie turned up and we went inside. She had warned me she wasn't in the best of moods, but she was lovely, and we sat and chatted for a bit, though mostly I think it was me boring her with all the things I had been doing in New York.

High Line Park Sign
She is obviously well known there :D and I got to leave my bag in a Thai restaurant,while we went and got drinks. Spent well over an hour talking about our travels, but it was time for me to be heading to the airport. Stephanie insisted on accompanying me to Penn Station, though maybe that was just to make sure I was reall going :D

Managed to find the ticket office, but had to hang about a bit as they  only put the departure platform up 10 minutes before the train is due to leave. Ended up going from Platform 4 and I said goodbye to Stephanie on the platform. Sound like some tear jerker movie :D

Took about 20 minutes on the NJ Transit and I was back where I started at Newark International,somewhat disbelieving that it had been a week since I arrived there.

Transitory At Penn Station
For the size of the airport there aren't that many facilities or shops, even once you go through security. I had been expecting a tough time at security, with it all meant to have been getting tightened, but found it no different from a normal check at home. in fact the outbound flight was a lot tougher. Had a look about, for all there was to see, and then just headed up towards the departure gate and planked myself in the Heineken Lounge until it was time to board at 19-20.

Had been hit by a feeling of tiredness when I had got to Newark, probably because I realised that I had come to a stop for this trip, but it still wasn't enough for me to sleep on the plane, and I had 7 hours of playing with the console in the seat, trying to find something decent to watch or finding some music. Found my favourite was Distance to Destination and a picture of a plane flying over the Atlantic :D

Macys
Street In Chelsea
Street In Chelsea
Our Lady Of Guadalupe Church
Our Lady Of Guadalupe Church
Homestead - New yorks Oldest Stea…
Homestead - New york's Oldest Ste…
Chelsea Market