Abstract Wandering and Catching Up

New York Travel Blog

The Guggenheim

Woke up with no great plan for the day, lucky there is so much to do in New York that this isn't a problem. After a quick look at my map, looking for insparation, I decided to start at the Guggenheim, so it was another morning stroll through Central Park, at 72nd Street. took about 20 minutes to get across and out at the Metropolitan and it was only a few block up on the right.

Pretty distinctive building, not one you're going to miss among the others in the area, with it spiral ramp at one end of the building. Paid the $18 to get in and found the first gallery of exhibits which had some stuff by Picasso and Cezanne among others. Wasn't reall that much in the room , so I headed up the way and found the next gallery to be the same.

Eiffel Tower By Robert Delaunay
Had heard the girl at the next counter, when I was buying the ticket, being told no photographt was allowed, and in each gallery there were security people creeping about, and nobody had a camera out.

Was really taken with some of the Paris collection,in particular a painting called 'Paris Through The Window' by Marc Chagall,but I was beginging to suss that there wan't that much in here. Made my way up through the galleries to the top and just as I was getting to the top ramp I bumped into Sarah and Nat. They were on the way back down again, having met up at 7am they had been here a lot earlier. Went back into the Paris collection and took a few pictures, and got dug up TWICE for doing so , but I still got the pictures :d . Having had enough of being underwhelmed here i headed for the subway on 86th Street.

Yankee Stadium
Looked at the Subway line on the route map, and there a few stops away was Yankee Stadium, so I thought that'll do.

Alright to look at, but I expected to go and find tours and stuff you could do, but there weren't, but I had a wander around outside and into the Team Store, and managed to get out of there without parting with any cash. Was up on 161St by now, so decided it was time to resurrect an old favourite, that I have done in many cities, and just pick a line and ride the train out to the final station, to see what there is to see. Usually find local areas with real people and away from all the usual touristy stuff they want you to see.

Decided on Line 4 and got on the train heading for Woodlawn, and headed up through the Bronx. Some you win, some you lose.

Train Departing Woodlawn
Wasn't a particularly interesting place. It had a park, a graveyard and a few dodgy looking shops. Walked round a bit and found a psychiatric unit which might have been more appropriate for me to have spent some time in :D. When i'd had enough decided to head back into the centre of the city and head for Bloomindales as, much as I hate shopping :(, I'd been given a few orders to get stuff. Clothes and perfume stuff on the ground floor I could about get, but once I got upstairs it all seemed a bit higglety pigglety . Most impressive thing I saw was a model of New York made out of chocolate . Got the stuff I needed to as quick as I could and then went over to the Levi's shop to get myself a couple of pairs of jeans to take home.

Decided I would be as quick walking back to the hotel from here,and I wanted to go to the supermarket again.

New York Made Of Chocolate
Back through Central Park on 65th St and zig zagged up once on the other side and found the ABC studios around West 67th St. Went in and bought a few more beers, and went back to the hotel to dump all the stuff in the room. Before I'd left home i made contact with an old mate. He had been working in Charlotte the previous week, but was back in his office this week. Had exchanged a few texts while I was there and had arranged to meet him in the foyer of the building in Times Square at 6pm . Headed for the subway and jumped the train down to 42nd Street.

Some one else I had been trying to get in touch with just before I left,Transitory, phoned me just as Garry turned up, and I apologised and asked her to phone back later. Hadn't seen Garry for about 5 years, so I didn't want to just ignore him as he turned up.

Headin Down Into Times Square
He suggested going for a steak dinner and I was happy with that, so he led the way cut  on one of the side streets to a place called the Palm Restaurant. It was very nice inside, but having been in the HRC and Bubba Gumps close by, there were no alarm bells ringing. Waiter asked if we wanted a drink first and we said yes and he brough the menus over with the beers.

Took a look at the menu and it took a lot of effort to try not to show any reaction and to stop my jaw from hitting the table. Mate was recommending the 14oz Filet Mignon, which was $46 just for the steak. In for a penny in for a pound I decided I might as well enjoy the night. So we went for a Caeser Salad each to start, and then got 3 Cheese Potatoes and green beans to go with the steak.

Filet Mignon
had another couple of beers over dinner, and we talked and caught up with a lot of things,about our families and football mostly :D and rememebred back to the times when we were growing up. Once we were done the waiter brought over the desserts, and while neither of us wanted on garry asked them to put one of the massive slabs of Carrot Cake into a take away box, as a treat for his wife and we got the bill which came to $265. I was getting my money out, but Garry insited on paying for it all . We then went through to the bar and sat and had another couple of beers, before he had to leave to get home as he stays about 25 miles up state. We did part with a standing invitation for me and the rest of the family to come over and to stay with them when we do  8)

Got the subway back up to 72nd/Broadway and beer magnet in Malachy's drew me in for another couple of pints before I went back to the hotel, having had a really great night.

Filet Mignon
Central Park Resevoir At The Gugge…
Central Park Resevoir At The Gugg…
Yankees team Store
Palm Restaurant
Palm Restaurant
Dome In The Guggenheim
Dome In The Guggenheim
Paris Through The Window Used As S…
Paris Through The Window Used As …
New York Sights & Attractions review
A Big Let Down
The Guggenheim name is known throughout the world, with it's various museums around the world, so I was expecting this to be good. On 5th Ave,up at… read entire review
New York Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Treat Yourself For A Special Occasion
My mate,who lives and works in New York, took me here for a meal when I met him after his work. He lead the way and we walked a few blocks,talking awa… read entire review
New York