Mud

Yangon Travel Blog

I knew that Myanmar got muddy, particularly in the rainy season. But even in the city centre of Yangon, my shoes were caked in it. Old colonial buildings are not maintained, even if they are being used (and most were). I imagine if you scraped through a few layers of mud, the city could be charming. The people don't interact much with tourists unless they are trying to sell you something (kyat from the black market, postcard stacks, or tours and transport tickets). The sidewalks (footpaths) are more of a hindrance than an aid to walking, but the driving here doesn't seem to be as crazy as in other Southeast Asian countries. Maybe that's because the public transport buses here are smaller than most other regional cities but try to fit the same amount of people in them. The pagodas, Shwedagon in particular, are breath-taking though. And despite what I've read on the country, I was not ever harassed or forced to pay a bribe by any government official, nor did I experience a power outage (to my knowledge). I did get chased across the street by a soldier because I was not allowed to walk on the same side of the street as government housing. Who knew? First impression of the city--there are a lot of people walking around!

Yangon