Home away from home

Kuala Lumpur Travel Blog

Kuala Lumpur is not the biggest city in Southeast Asia. Nor is it the cleanest or richest or most culturally diverse. However, from my experience, I would have to say that it is the most livable and the most fun. The first time I visited the city, I was naturally impressed by the Petronas Towers and the high speed train into the city from the airport. But it didn't take long to be impressed by the smaller things the city had to offer. I quickly found that the 24 hour culture at the outdoor food courts was where the city really came to life. Everyone, rich and poor of all races and ages, could meet up here at night and just hang out with their friends. I took a strong liking to that...plus the fact that the teh tarik and roti canai, a common snack (or meal) would cost less than US$1. But the longer I stayed, the more I actually liked the city. Its trains and public transport system is flawed and certainly not integrated (despite claims to the contrary), but traffic is even worse than dealing with public transport problems. Yet, it doesn't keep me from going out and enjoying what the city has to offer. KL has a number of great shopping areas and several places to go for nighttime entertainment. The colonial district is picturesque, as are the traditional regions of the city associated with the main ethnic groups of the country. KL Tower offers the best view of the city from above, while the area around Masjid Jamek puts the city's namesake into perspective. Overall, KL is a city that is easily likable from the beginning, and gets better the longer you stay here.

Vanessa_Mun_Yee says:
I always miss Malaysian food, weather, conveniece of going and doing everything whenever I am out of the country!
Posted on: Apr 07, 2011