Where is anything?

Putrajaya Travel Blog

Empty fields, but with promise

My first trip to Malaysia was a transit at KL International Airport on my way to Indonesia. However, on the same return flight, the airlines had organized a mandatory overnight stopover in the country. I had no problems with breaking up a long trans-Pacific flight and getting some hotel luxuries after a month-long stay in tourist-luxury-free rural Bali. After arriving at the airport, my friends and I were shuttled through immigration and outside to a bus that would take us to the hotel. This being Kuala Lumpur's airport, I expected that we would be taken to Kuala Lumpur. So when we got to the beautiful golf resort, we immediately began searching the sky for the recently-erected Petronas Towers, the tallest buildings in the world at the time. Didn't see them...but it didn't stop us from looking. Wandering all around the resort, we couldn't find the correct direction to look for them. Surely you could see the tallest buildings from anywhere in the city, right? Well, yes. But I didn't find out until years later that I was not even in Kuala Lumpur at the time, but 40 minutes drive away in the newly under-construction administrative capital. As it turns out, that resort I stayed at isn't even there anymore, having made way for apartments and shops for the now flourishing, if not quiet, city. I can say, however, that I was in Putrajaya when it was literally nothing but wetlands and constructions sites.

cavlizzy says:
That is a great story!
Posted on: May 26, 2011
soonthiam says:
So you got stuck in Malaysia because of your curiosity. :)
Posted on: Mar 27, 2011
Stigen says:
Contgrats on the feature ! nice going ! you've really done Malaysia properly!
Posted on: Feb 22, 2011