see yous in Vilnius

Vilnius Travel Blog

Travbuddy - Vilnius

I left early in the morning for Lithuania using the usual now EuroLines. Nothing noticeable happened during the trip and I arrived in Vilnius and checked in the Old Vilnius Hostel, a small and cosy place yards away from the main old town city gates. There is a super market just around the corner near the local market. The train and bus station are about 5 minutes walk

Tip: Every currency exchange office will take a fee per every transaction so you check fist on how much the fee is so you wont get a rip off. If you arrive at the train/bus station there a 24/7 bank there that charges 1 Lita per every transaction.

Vilnius is a blend of Baroque, Gothic, Renascence and other styles, on UNESCO World Heritage List and I was lucky enough to be there while it was elected, along with Linz in Austria, to The European Capital of Culture in 2009.

The Cathedral of Vilnius

So the city was in vibe and during the day there were art and photo exhibitions, medieval parades, street theatres and during the night more cosmopolitan ones like fashion shows, experimental theatres and concerts.

Tip: If you want to buy the world famous now Baltic amber Lithuania is the place to get it as it the cheapest option in terms of prices. Also you can get a bottle of good quality Baltic Vodka if you are into it or just as a present.

There are also flea-like markets where you can get all kinds of souvenirs and bargains.

A funny story that happened to me hours before embarking to Warsaw in Poland: so I woke up in the morning and went to buy some souvenirs, fridge mags of course, and some presents for my family back home.

medieval flavour
Among them I bought my mom 80 Euros worth of amber jewellery, earrings and a little pendant. On my way back to pack my back I stopped by at a super market to get some snacks ‘n soda for the road. I went to the drinks section and I was lookin for a nice bottle of vodka to bring back home and while checkin the bottles I just left, leaving the jewels bag resting on some beer crates. Picked up the vodka bottle, paid for everything and obviously forgot to take the jewels. Changed all the Litas I had left in my wallet into Polish Zlots so I would have some when arriving in Warsaw.

Arrived at the hostel started packing, had a shower and just one hour before leavin it just hit me. I rushed back at the supermarket, talked to some of the people there, including the guy at the CCTV but there was nothing to be found.

I thought “Way to go idiot!” and went and changed some more money to buy another set of earrings and pendant. So on my way back from the exchange office to the amber shop I passed the same supermarket where I left the jewel bag in the first place.

restaurant
Realising I forgot to buy some chewing gum I stepped inside to get some and the soon I walked in a cashier waved at me yelling: “we found it!” to which I replied “No f-in way!”. They told me a cleaning lady found them on the beer crates and eventually took ‘em to the lost and found.

So that was it, that was Vilnius, off to Warsaw.

Marius1981 says:
happy ending, blind luck, stupidity from my perspective:)
the annoying thing was that i'm usually quite organised and i never lost valuables like wallets, keys etc. i guess there's a start for everything
Posted on: Feb 20, 2010
sylviandavid says:
Wow.... what a happy ending on the jewelry...
Posted on: Feb 19, 2010
Marius1981 says:
@Carla: i was a bit tired while in vilnius and didn manage to make a proper tour of the whole place but i loved it very much :)
Posted on: Feb 09, 2010
tavern
tavern
spinach pie and Utenos
spinach pie and Utenos
wee Hostel snack - smoked salmon w…
wee Hostel snack - smoked salmon …
Vilnius Hostels review
Vilnius Old Town Hostel
Cosy little hostel, just near the old town gates. The whole place is on two levels – street level where the reception and dorms are and undergro… read entire review
photo by: EmyG