Eating balot

Boracay Travel Blog

Eating balot is one of the most daring thing I've done in Philippines.

If you're not familiar with the term "balot", here's what it's about.

"A balut is a fertilized duck (or chicken) egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell. They are common, everyday food in some countries in Southeast Asia, such as in the Philippines, Cambodia, and Vietnam. Popularly believed to be an aphrodisiac and considered a high-protein, hearty snack, balut are mostly sold by street vendors in the regions where they are available." - wikipedia

Funny enough, we only found vendors selling balot at night. Perhaps it depends on the location. Or since it's believed to act as an aphrodisiac, there's a reason why they sell it mostly at night *wink*

The bf had wanted to try balot since Day 1 when we were in Philippines. Ok, great I'll be his camerawoman I said. He stopped a woman vendor selling balot at the roadside on our last night there. I was very excited throughout the whole process, at the same time being curious how it must have tasted like. The thought of chewing on a duck/chicken embryo doesn't quite appeal to me, in fact, I think it's cruel!

So I took picture of him eating it. Step by step.

First, pose with the egg/chicken/embryo you were going to kill eat. Flash a lot of teeth, it does make it look more delicious.

Next, peel the top of the egg carefully. You're not supposed to hentam the egg on any surface to break it like your typical hard boiled egg ok? Peel it real slow as if you're going to enjoy devouring the egg later. *pfftt*

Add some salt and vinegar

Slowly sip the soup inside. I swear it tasted just like chicken soup!

Then proceed to peeling the rest of the egg to expose the poor little chicken/duck embryo you're about to eat.

*shivers at the sight*

Pose again for picture for one last time before you put the whole thing into your mouth. Open your mouth real big and chomp it down

Start the chewing process. Enjoy the merciless killing, the taste of the embryo with your teeth chewing on it. *yum yum*

Then decide whether you love it or hate it. He obviously loved it.

I went after the bf, after much persuation from him. feeling challenged wtf I shouldn't have watched the peeling process or zoomed all the way in to take a macro picture of it. First I drank the soup. It was surprisingly nice and warm (like chicken soup) but I almost puked as I peeled the rest of the egg. It's really all psychology. The image of the embryo was stuck in my head. In the end, I had to ask the woman to peel the rest off for me :S I tried not to look at it and put the whole damn thing into my mouth, expecting the worse.

I bit into it.... no yucky substance exploded and to my surprise, it's a little dry.. the texture was a little sandy (like when you eat pork liver).... wait!

Chicken egg yolk! Yes it tasted like a whole big chunk of egg yolk in my mouth. I chewed and chewed and chewed, trying to dismiss the image in my mind. It was very dry and I had a little difficulty swallowing it but in the end, I managed. Thank god no feathers or soft bones! Zeek had one with feathers, yuck!

It was hard to get over the fact that you had actually seen how the whole thing looked like and then try to eat it. I had to confess that I did too, like it *blush* It wasn't as bad as I thought.

The vendor told me she eats 8-10 balot on average a day @_@ This can only means:

1) She can't finish selling them hence she has to eat them all.

2) She must be very horny she decided to embrace her passion by selling balots and getting to eat them for free.

3) She is too horny that she has waaaay to many kids she has to work harder to earn extra income to feed them all.

As of now, balot is officially recognised as "haute cuisine" and now being served in restaurants as appetizers. Our balot cost erm.. I dont remember like 20 peso per egg? It's super super cheap! Who says you need the blue pill now that you can eat lots of balots?

Up until today I still find it hard to believe I actually downed a balot. I'm a little traumatized to be honest, everytime I eat hard boiled egg now, I'll remember the day, the day I mercilessly participated in the killing of an embryo, something which could possibly has a live of its own :s oh what am I talking about? They were long dead before I ate them *roll eyes*

Nah, go feel geli now.