Where are the tourists?

Banda Aceh Travel Blog

Masjid Raya Baiturrahman

I came here because I wanted to see what Aceh was like...particularly to see its progress since the 2004 tsunami. The tsunami is still a common topic for discussion here, but there is some general contentment with the slow progress made in development since then. There have been new developments, but Banda Aceh still looks like other Sumatran cities. As expected, the Baiturrahman Mosque is very central to life in the city center. The teachings are broadcast nightly on the loud speakers, which seem to be louder than the loud speakers used at mosques in Malaysia. Still, the night market that sets up for a kilometer stretch along the road the central mosque sits on was fairly busy, if not highly repetitive. The hawker food stalls interspersed in the market are busy and include favorites such as martabak, curried duck, and Kentucky Fried Chicken (not related to KFC...haha!). The commercial center of town is also fairly busy at night when people come out to eat and hang out, but there is not much great shopping to be had here. People are friendly, and the men in particular are quite touchy-feely. I lost count of the conversations I had just from walking around town (a few even in English). And the people are very proud of the Acehnese language. I was given impromptu Acehnese lessons by every becak driver I rode with. But between its unfamiliarity and my own admitted lack of interest, I have not retained much!

iramalama says:
54 entries...but still lots more to see. Not enough time (or money!). Ya, I'd wait to include Central Java on your Indonesia itinerary. It's definitely a highlight of the country!
Posted on: Nov 16, 2010
sUrAbUyA says:
With all of your 54 entries you really cover Indonesia. I had been looking forward to adding it to my SE Asian countries I had visited. but with the volcano I think we will wait until we can hopefully include that area too.
Posted on: Nov 16, 2010
Masjid Raya Baiturrahman
A traffic roundabout...haha! I for…
A traffic roundabout...haha! I fo…
Banda Aceh Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Nice breakfast
The Jeumpa Coffee Shop is one of the restaurants inside the Oasis Atjeh Hotel. It sits alongside the hotel's central courtyard garden and water featur… read entire review
Banda Aceh Hotels & Accommodations review
An oasis away from the city
The Oasis is a new (or newly renovated) hotel in Banda Aceh about 4km outside of the city center. As an avid walker/wanderer, I was disappointed to fi… read entire review
Banda Aceh