Lombok tourism

Senggigi Travel Blog

I must say that my first trip to Lombok was a bit uneventful. Sure, I had just come from Bali (and after the 5 hour ferry ride was really looking forward to some mental or visual stimulation), but I must admit that I expected more. Senggigi is billed as a tourist town, but it does not have the name recognition as Lombok's other tourist town (Kuta...yes, the exact same name as Bali's main tourist town), nor does it have the draw of the Gili islands (where I can recall scores of tourists going there and admitting to being drugged--by choice--and then robbed). Senggigi was quiet in comparison and offered a window into Lombok's Hindu past, when it was under the control of Balinese royalty. The seaside Hindu temples are a nice photo op. The restaurants around town...and even the tourist accommodations...were a bit desperate to get customers. But you can't blame them when there were virtually no other tourists in town that I noticed. The beaches here are nice, but the shopping is lacking a bit. Senggigi would be a great place to go and relax and even sunbathe without being harassed by beach-prowling vendors like in Bali.

Senggigi