Amsterdamge, "It would be rude not to"

Amsterdam Travel Blog

Like any fun-loving twenty-something, I was very keen to see what Amsterdam was all about. In my mind, total debauchery run wild. I didn't speak a word of Dutch, which did not help when we got off our flight (which coincidentally landed at 4:20pm) onto a train headed towards Belgium on a silent rail car. We were told politely by a older Dutch gentleman that we would have to move if we wanted to continue to talk. I felt terrible, and embarrassed for being three "loud" Americans talking in a silent train car. Well, lesson learned we moved and then we figured out we were not heading at all in the right direction.
We eventually arrived at Amsterdam Centraal Station and began to look for our hostel, The Flying Pig, which was luckily very close and very easy to find.
As soon as we checked in we went for a wander around. It was November, so it was chilly and rainy, but I live in Ireland so it felt about the same. It was dark by the time we had gotten settled so we grabbed some food, hit up the cafes and chilled for the evening.
The next day we woke hit up the cafes for our morning jump start and went to the Van Gogh Museum. It was very impressive, I had thought I knew a bit about him, but I learned so much and I love to see famous paintings in real life. Our hostel was in a great location, near lots of shopping.
The restaurants in Amsterdam are great, possibly I was biased because I was hungry quite often. We found out that the Dutch aren't really know for their culinary delicacies, so they have tons of other types of food in the city.
At the Flying Pig Hostel

The next day we did a canal tour in which we learned a lot about the city of Amsterdam and the canals in a nice covered glass roofed boat. It was very convenient because it was hop on hop off, so we were able to get around the city while being told about it. We headed up to the Anne Frank house and Museum. I very much enjoyed that as I had read The Diary of Anne Frank as a girl and was very moved by her story. Seeing it in real life was quite heavy, but a must see.
We went out that night to some bar which I don't remember the name of, but it had an American-South theme (think Confederate flags..). We were there mid-week in the off season so it was not swamped, but it was fun to see Amsterdam. I thoroughly enjoyed the city, we didn't rent bikes but next time I would, it is THE way to get around. It's a cool city if you're looking to chill out and see some amazing architecture.

Paulovic says:
For fun-loving twenty-something girls you were good girls I think in A'dam. ;)
Posted on: Apr 26, 2016