I am... a Mahout!

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

I am... the Mahout!
I'm really really really really tired.  I hope you appreciate the fact that I used all the font formatting available to me there, to go at least some way to emphasise just how tired I am.  I've had a pretty awesome day though, so I'm the kind of tired you are when you have a smile on your face and nothing can really touch you.  It's not going to sound like it, because my brain is only firing on 3 neurons, but I'll try.  Oh, sorry - where are my manners?!  Tea?  Coffee?  No?  Ok!

Today started early.  My alarm went off at 7am, and I was out of the door at 8am.  Shut up.  That is early.  Anyway, we were picked up by a minibus and headed out for the wilderness of the Thai 'outback'.
Chatting about women troubles
  We pulled up in a campsite where we were confronted by a bunch of elephants.  I love elephants.  Such noble creatures.  So, I climbed up onto the neck of one and off we went into the jungle!  I felt a real connection with that elephant.  For a while, I was his mahout.  I was GUTTED when I had to leave it and carry on the rest of tha adventure.  I stand corrected on my assertation that I love motorbikes (see previous blog entry).  I love elephant transport more.  I'm going to buy myself one when I get back to England.  I'll run over some chavs on their mopeds on it.  And get myself a drive-thru MacDonalds.  I wonder if I can get some ICE installed?  God I'm talking crap tonight.
  Anyway.

We then spent the next few hours trekking through the jungle - passign waterfalls that we swam in.  At this point the heavens opened up and it rained like I've never seen the sky leak before.  It was outrageous amounts of rain.  This is pretty much where the photos stopped, as I didn't want to risk taking the camera out in that kind of downpour.  I LOVED trekking through the jungle though.  I didn't think I would, but I liked it so much I'm now considering another, much longer (5 day?) trek on foot through the jungles.  With my jungle camoflage cagoule I felt like I was straight out of a scene from Predator.

By late afternoon we had reached our next leg - a white water rafting session down the Mae tang river!  This was so much cooler than I expected it to be.  This was followed by a bamboo rafting session.
Intrepid!
  This was so much lamer than I expected it to be.  For one, it was more like a bamboo submarine trip.  The freaking bamboo raft didn't bloody float.  Call me old fashioned, but it's that a pre-requisite for boat travel?  The guy running the trip was a moron, so I guess it was to be expected.  When we reached out destination, we all hopped in the minibus.  That's as much as I remember, as I fell asleep at the point and was awoken at outside our guesthouse.  Drooling.  Attractive.  At least, I'm sure the cute Irish girl I was chatting up on our tour would have thought.  D'oh

Sorry it's been a bit vague and scatty - but I'm very very very very tired.  Oh, wait - we did that bit already.

Hasta maƱana mis amigos!
Izzy says:
You should! It was one of the coolest things I've done so far :)
Posted on: Jun 11, 2007
newtampo says:
Sounds great on the back of an elephant. Shame, i'm Thai who went to Cheingmai many times but never do that. Will try.
Posted on: Jun 11, 2007
Even more intrepid!
Even more intrepid!
I think this is the flower from th…
I think this is the flower from t…
From a tribal hut in the jungle