A Day in Leipzig

Leipzig Travel Blog

Leipzig Oper

Leipzig isn’t too far from Dresden, about 90 minutes with the regional train.  We met at the Dresden-Neustadt train station, and of course I was there obnoxiously early.  But that just meant that I had plenty of time for a newspaper, coffee and muffin and still worked on Tintenherz.  As the time crawled on, more people came  until everyone was there- all five of us, including the course assistant lead the trip.  But that was okay with me.   It was a pleasant ride, just talking and enjoying the scenery.  I’d been through the Leipzig train station once before, so at least that part looked familiar.  But once I stepped outside, it was all new.  Our first stop was the Tourist Info office where Sara (the course assistant) got us maps so we could follow along with where we were going.  We walked to the Augustusplatz where we got to see the Leizig Oper (Opera House).  We didn’t go inside, which was fine by me.  The outside was interesting enough, and I don’t care for opera that much.  We also got to see the outside of the Gewandhaus zu Leipzig.

From there we walked around a bit, then went up to the top of the Panorama Tower.  Not a fan of the elevator ride, but the view was awesome.  Not quite as good as the Pearl TV Tower in Shanghai, which also had a really cool see-through floor, but it was still quite a good view of Leipzig.  In the tower was a restaurant, that had a guestbook outside.  One of the signers was from Manchester, Vermont!  It was dated about a month earlier, but it was still cool.  I tried explaining it to the people I was with, but only one really knew Vermont anyway.  Manchester might be a bit yuppy-ish, but hey, it’s still Vermont.

The next stop was a church in the Altstadt called Nikolaikirche (Church of St. Nikolas).  This was especially important during the DDR time because it was the center of the Monday demonstrations against the DDR government and it was also known as a “Friedensgebiet” or a “Freedom Area”.   Inside, the church is beautiful.  We even got to hear a choir sing!

From there we went to a free museum about life during the DDR time in East Germany.  It was pretty cool, but very little was in English, so unless one knows German, it’ll just be pictures.  From the museum, it was lunchtime!  I had voted for Tapas, but got outvoted.  So we went to an Italian cafĂ©.  Not bad, but it wasn’t tapas!  That and an ice cream later, we were on our way to the Thomaskirche (Church of St. Thomas), where Bach once worked.  The outside was nice, though it looked a bit unfinished.  We couldn’t go inside because of a choir concert.  From there, we went to the “Bundesverwaltungsgericht” (like a state court, I think).

We headed back to the train station, where we had some time to kill.  I spent mine in Media Markt, just looking around until I almost overheated.  They had the heat set to Broil.  Then I just went  back outside, found a piece of floor against a railing, and read Tintenherz until Sara and the others showed up.

Overall, I’m glad I went to Leipzig, though it wasn’t all that impressive.  Maybe if I had a greater interest in opera or classical music, it would’ve been better.  A nice city nonetheless, but I’m glad I live in Dresden for now.

Gewandhaus
Gewandhaus
Oper
Oper
Fountain in front of Gewandhaus
Fountain in front of Gewandhaus
Altmarkt
Altmarkt
in front of the museum- a mix of F…
in front of the museum- a mix of …
oohhh Gold