Brewery!

Radeberg Travel Blog

In Germany, it's all about the wurst and the beer.  And since I have NO desire whatsoever to see wurst made, that leaves beer.  I've been on two brewery tours (one in April '06- Plzen, CZ with my parents and September '09 in Qingdao, China), but wanted another.  So when I heard that there was a major brewery not to far from Dresden, I heard opportunity knocking.  So I swung the door wide open, and invited it in for a drink.  And dragged a classmate (from Venezuela, he works at a brewery back home) along for the ride.  Since we live in the same building, we met there at 8:45, as I'd foolishly thought that would give us enough time to make the train at Dresden-Neustadt.  We got to the train station with 10 minutes to spare, so I thought (again foolishly) that we were golden.
outside the brewery
  Until I couldn't get the machine to give me the ticket I wanted, and then it crashed and we had to wait for another one.  So instead of the train that would put us in Radeberg at 9:30, with 30 minutes to spare, we ended up on the train that arrived 2 minutes after our tour started.

Luckily finding and getting to the brewery weren't hard and didn't take much time.  We jumped in a few minutes late, but it didn't appear that we missed much of the tour.  It was all in German, which was a little difficult since there was a lot of "brewery vocabulary" that I don't have, but I understood most and even got a few of the jokes!   Then came the tasting... at 11am.  We started with a regular Radeberger Pilsner (that's all Radeberger makes is Pilsner) and watched a movie.
in the train station
  Then came the fresh beer!  After most of one (Jose had to finish mine, I just couldn't), that was it for me.  11am is a little too early for multiple beers for me.  But we did get rolls too!  Nice touch.  We got to keep a glass that we'd used for the beer tastings, but we had to wash it ourselves first.  But we did get a souvenir box to put it in.  And that was the end of the tour.

After the tour, we walked around Radeberg for a little while, discovering that all there really was to the town for tourists was the brewery.  So we caught the next train back to Dresden, discovered that the stop Dresden-Industriegelaende is infinitely closer to the dorm building than Dresden-Neustadt, and that was the brewery day in a nutshell.
a whole lotta kegs...
a whole lotta kegs...
and bottles
and bottles
Radeberg Sights & Attractions review
Beer brewery outside of Dresden
Getting there is easy, it's a 15 minutes train ride from Dresden-Neustadt. From there, about a 10 minute walk down the street from the train station.… read entire review
Radeberg