This is why you should come to Manchester

Manchester Travel Blog

As regular readers may know, I am a fan of strange things. I get excited about interesting carvings on walls, trees growing on roofs, and very good noodles. I may not be the most reliable of tour guides.

But this entry sums up, in a few pictures, why I love Manchester so much. These are the few pictures that almost came out (crappy Blackberry camera!) at a gig by a band called Freebass. I saw Freebass in a tiny, tiny venue called Fac251 near the student quarter, with a few hundred other people. But Freebass are made up of a very good singer, and the bassists from three of the most influential bands in British Music History - Mani from the Stone Roses/ Primal Scream, Peter Hook from Joy Division/New Order, and Andy Rourke from the Smiths. Any one of those men on their own is incredible enough. Peter Hook alone would be worth the ticket price. Seeing them playing in a single band was amazing, and if I sound uncharacteristically sycophantic and star struck, I don't care. And I got to see them in a tiny venue in the former offices of Factory Records.

I am star struck.

And, as an extra bonus, I include a picture of an interesting thing I saw carved on a wall.

I love this city.
Fac251/ The Factory
Fac251/ The Factory
Mani
Mani
Peter Hook
Peter Hook
And this is just a random piece of…
And this is just a random piece o…
Manchester Nightlife & Entertainment review
Fac251
Fac251 (aka The Factory) is a new-ish club and live venue in the former offices of Factory Records, near the student part of Manchester. And Factory … read entire review
Manchester