Spring

London Travel Blog

The noodle place in Euston station

As part of my new job, I will be down in London on my own for a few days each month, and so I will be able to actually take some of the advice I hand out to people in the forums.  This was my first trip down, and I have very little to report.  I had a very nice drink in the Queen’s Larder, in Bloomsbury, with my cousin Mairi.  The Queen’s Larder is a little quiet pub up a sidestreet close to Russell Square, and it has cask ales and extra seating upstairs.  It is nothing particularly special, but perfectly pleasant.

But the highlight of the trip was the fact that at last, at long last, spring is finally coming.

The bench
  After an unusually dire winter, and having moved further North, I was despairing of the spring managing to get its self started before the summer rains kicked in.  But last night, as I marched towards Euston station, there were songbirds doing their level best to be heard above the buses, and there were the first crocuses.  Best of all, it was just warm enough to eat outside for the first time this year.  It is a huge relief.  I know it’s silly, but I hate eating alone indoors in London but I don’t mind eating outside alone at all.  This is especially true if you are trying to manoeuvre a suitcase with you.  I was really happy to be able to sit outside the station, on a bench made of Portland stone and full of the imprints of fossil shells (allegedly... it looked awfully faked to me!), eating noodles.  It was, in fact, my third Japanese meal in a row; Bloomsbury and Holborn appear to be absolutely stuffed with Japanese take-aways, which suits me down to the ground, but next time I’m in town I might have to eat something else!  The air was mild and calm, the birds were singing cheerfully, and I caught my train in plenty of time.  Even Virgin trains failed to cock up, although I did take the train after the train I wanted to because the first one was full.

I will try to have more exciting adventures next time I am down, but in the meantime, spring is coming...

London