Helicopter Ride

Chesterfield Travel Blog

Last March, I left Swindon.  My colleagues very genorously had a whip round, and bought me one of those vouchers that you can swap for an adventure activity somewhere.  After six months of dithering, failing to choose between all the activities, and diary clashes, today I finally used it on a ten minute helicopter ride for two people over the Peak District.

The helicopter leaves from a pub near Chesterfield, and we got lost several times on the way because I am pants with a map.  Still, we arrived in plenty of time.  We had to park across the road to avoid the crowds for a wedding fair, but found the helicopter.

The ten minute flight took us over the peak districts and over Chatsfield House, where I think the Prince of Wales lives.

He seems to own most of the countryside for miles - it must be very easy to preach to the public about growing your own field when you own several peaks.  But still, it is beautiful parkland, especially from right up in the air and travelling at 120 miles per hour.

This was a real treat - I even managed not to get airsick, which is unusual for me.  It's certainly not something I would have chosen to do if I hadn't had such a genorous gift, and so I am very grateful to all my old friends.

After the ride, we went back into Chesterfield.  We couldn't look at the church because it closes on Sundays (!) and there wasn't a single pub that looked like it did nice lunch, so we left and got some food in a Brewers Fayre nearby.  Then we went and visited some friends, which was lovely, and went home.

sarahelaine says:
Did I get the wrong royal? Oh well. Thanks, I'll edit later.
Posted on: Sep 13, 2010
londonstudent says:
Sounds fun! Btw, I'm pretty sure that the building in your second pic is Chatsworth House, seat of the Duke of Devonshire, and that it's he who owns all the land round about :)
Posted on: Sep 12, 2010