Emma's trip to Manchester

Manchester Travel Blog

Finally, my friend Emma and I had the same weekend free!

Emma came up on Virgin trains, and had the usual nightmare of getting a Friday train out of London, having missed the train she was meant to take because of a security scare. Sigh. So she was pretty knackered and going out on Friday was out of the question.

On Saturday, we had a leisurely start and wandered around Manchester looking in shops and eating cupcakes. I've already reviewed my favourite cupcake shop (Sweet tooth cupcakery), so we can leave it as saying that we had a lovely time there. We also went on the Manchester wheel, which I'm always happy to have a ride on. It's a good way to see Manchester, and I enjoyed that too.

In the evening, we went to Sweet Mandarin, which is a nice looking restaurant I've been meaning to try for ages. It was really lovely; the food is contemporary Chinese and, with lovely flavours and cool decoration, I will definitely aim to get back there one day soon!

Then we went to see the Lady from the Sea in the Royal Exchange. About a hundred years ago, give or take, Emma and I did GCSE drama together. For non Brits, GCSEs are exams you do at the age of 16. You have to do things like English and Maths, but some other subjects are optional, including Drama. Emma and I both loved it. We went on lots of school trips to the theatre, ate lots of theatre icecream, and saw some great plays. She kept it up afterwards, doing A level (the exams you do at the age of 18) and then doing a lot of amateur musical theatre stuff afterwards. I always meant to, but never did. But with one thing and another, Emma hadn't been to a play, rather than a show, for ages. And the Royal Exchange is a special theatre. It's in a fantastic building, where a modern steel theatre in the round has been built inside a wonderful neo classical Victorian cotton exchange. The standard of the theatre is always very high, and we decided it would be great fun to see a play there.

Of course, Lady from the Sea is an Ibsen, which means it is about the constrictions of marriage and women being a bit hysterical because of their lame, dreadful or just ineffectual husbands. So that was fun, given I was just engaged! ;)

Manchester Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Sweet Mandarin
Sweet Mandarin is a Chinese restaurant in the Northern Quarter of Manchester. It aims to be more contemporary than a lot of Chinese restaurants, whi… read entire review
Manchester