Back to Thailand

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

Today was a really good day! Aly and I woke up and had breakfast at around 1030, then met up with everyone to go to the airport. The flight was really quick – less than an hour for sure – and everything went SO fast compared to flying in Canada – and we were even crossing country borders. Anyway, we got our luggage and there were 2 guys from our guesthouse waiting for us with a sign and flower necklaces (techincally I guess they would be lei's, but they looked different – and we're in Thailand:) ).. Then we noticed the Dairy Queen in the airport and obviously had to have a little taste of home in the scorching heat! Once we got on our tuk tuks, we had a short drive to the Libra Guesthouse, and checked into our rooms. Since Chiang Mai is a pretty big city in Thailand, we figured they'd have good shopping, so Aly and I grabbed a tuk tuk over to the mall which we were told was the best, Airport Plaza. It was amazing. I don't know if its because how huge it was, or the beautiful handbags and shoes we saw in the windows of the stores, or the fact that there was a Starbucks right at the front where I got a Grande Mocha Light Frappe – either way, it was fantastic. The mall has 5 levels, and is pretty organized – level 5 is the theatre and food court, 4 is mostly telephone/electronics stores, 3 had a lot of salons and some womens stores.. etc etc. Anyway, we killed a few hours there, ate McDonalds there – mostly just to try Thailand McDonalds – then went back to our guesthouse to meet up with the rest of the group. It's a Sunday night, and Chiang Mai always has a Sunday Night Market, so we went to check that out. It was pretty crazy! Aly and I covered only a small section of it, but it took us long enough an we were pretty much ready to call it a night after the area we had covered. Basically things start to repeat themselves..theres a stand with necklaces and bracelets and other jewellry, then one with handmade blankets, another with terrible dresses or cheesy touristy shirts, then it cycles all over again. Tomorrow morning we have an earlyyy morning to head our for our Jungle Trek – still not looking forward to it, but I don't have much option. I could stay in Chiang Mai by myself, but that seems sketchy so I'm gonna just suck it up and go with the flow! Won't be bringing my computer, so I'll do one big entry when I get back in three days.

Chiang Mai