General Thoughts, Reflections & Tips

Manila Travel Blog

Macau is not very large but it is surprisingly hilly and there are a few 'cobble-stone-like' streets.  Wear very comfortable walking shoes.  You can see the entire peninsula (not Taipa & Coloane) on foot.  Take a taxi or bus over the bridge to Taipa & Coloane.

It was foggy every morning.  I understand now why some artwork and movies depict mountains shrouded in mist.  I always thought it was artistic license.

There were dozens of fountains which were turned off.  I'm not sure if that was due to neglect, because they were in need of maintenance or simply to prepare them for the big celebration but it was so pervasive that I noticed.

I felt very comfortable, relaxed, at home.

If you wake up early, your choices for breakfast are limited.  Consider eating breakfast at your hotel.  There is a Starbucks & a McDonald's at one end of Senedo Square.  There are also various small stores where you can purchase rolls, bottled drinks, etc.

Spend at least 3 days in Macau: 1 day to do Taipa & Coloane, 2-3 days on the peninsula.  There is a lot more than what is covered by the suggested walking tours/itineraries and you don't want to wear yourself out trying to do too much.

I was unable to find a Macau travel guide.  Most of the books on the subject treat Macau as a side trip from Hong Kong.  Of the Hong Kong travel guides I saw, Frommer's has the most extensive section on Macau (about 45 pages).  You can also find good information from the official tourism sites (both online & at the office in Senedo Square).

Crowds can be unbelievable.  I was there during the run-up to Chinese New Year, so that might have made it busier than normal but some restaurants & points of interest were simply crowded.  There's no other way to say it.  On the other hand, I found some places which seemed downright desolate.

I need to learn some Chinese before I go to Hong Kong.

Manila