Picturesque hike through the mountains

Triesenberg Travel Blog

View from a clearing in the woods between Vaduz and Triesenberg

The lady at tourist info center told me to take the trail just passed the schloss but, I missed it. I kept walking along the road and up the mountain. I stopped at a park area with a sign posting direction and time to different villages. Ok, so I chose the direction fo Triessenberg and started through the woods and up the mountain……and wondering what I was in for. The woods were peaceful. It was quite an experience alone in the woods on the side of a mountain in Liechtenstein……how lucky am I?!

Twenty minutes or so into it….being worried that I would never be seen again. I kept going and every now and then I would find some thing of great beauty, a waterfall, a pine cone, a interesting rock and it would be better.

After spending what had to be atleast 40 ��" 45 minutes…I was beginning to worry but, at that exact moment the trees parted and I was in a high meadow with a sharply sloping landscape.

St. Joseph's Church
As, I walked further out into it…’s glorious view of Switzerland’s Alps, Liechtenstein’s Alps, and the Rhine River all come into view.

I stopped and sat for an afternoon snack at a bench integrated into the stone fence along the trail.

Another 10 minutes and I see a little barn, then a house, then around a corner a clearing. I was on the outskirts of town.

Triesenberg is a village of under 3000 people at around 3000 feet above sea level. It has a unique dialect (Walser) from migrants during the Middle Ages. It is spoken along side the Alemannic dialect and the common German.

There are many old wooden houses in tar or resin paint but with colorful window and door detail.

Until 1768, Triesenberg belonged to the parishes of Schaan and Triesen. The first parish church (St. Joseph’s Church) was built thanks to the financial support of Prince Josef Wenzel from 1767 to 1769 and is therefore also called the Wenzel Church. It was renovated in 1839 and 1877. In 1938, the church had to make room for a new church, which like the first one has a striking onion tower. It’s quite a sight against the backdrop of the Alps.

View from a clearing in the woods …
View from a clearing in the woods…
St. Josephs Church