EuropeItalyMilan

Crossing the lakes of Italy to reach Milan

Milan Travel Blog

Como and the lake

The train to Milan left on time, yeah! Zurich to Milan is 4 hours. I read a car magazine until done and then listened to music while the Southern Swiss cities and the Italian stops of Lungano, and Lake Como, brought new sights for me. Magnificent churches and castles dotted the landscape, mostly in the middle of nowhere.

We arrived in Milan around 17:00. It was a busy, busy station (Porta Nuovo). I filed out with everyone else and made my way to the Metro (1euro) as fast as possible. I needed to take it to Porta Garibaldi. The metro cars were packed full of commuters going home for the day and extra full as it was also Friday.

I was lucky as it was only 2 stops.

Chiasso
Ok, now to find my track. The sign posted every destination expect for Torino…of course! And then, 20 minutes late. Oh I didn’t tell you how cold it was here……and even though there was a structure / shelter there were no doors and the openings are quite large so all of the COLD air was in the whole station. I tried sitting but, I felt colder than standing so, I stood for the next 2 hours.

Finally a track number and the mass of people that had gathered due to the late arrival of the train, all moved in unison…..great.

The train was just starting to pull in as we all reached the tracks. It was packed. This was not going to be as pleasant as the other 2 trains, today.

Someone was sitting in my seat so I took another (they are assigned) until that person wanted it. I explained to her that my seat was taken and explained where the seat was. The man sitting in my seat was observing the whole discussion and said nothing….nice, huh! Anyway, she was nice about it and ended up forcing him to let her sit next to him.

I had a family of three and as it ended up, their fourth was the old man who was sitting across the aisle in my seat……jerk….whatever. I spent the next hour sitting face to face with his wife…..we would smile an uncomfortable smile now and then. I tried finding any article that I could in my car magazine that I had completed reading much earlier. Anything to pass the time and to give me another focus other than the woman.

Milan