Antarctica

Antarctica Travel Blog

the ship

This is by far the best experience i have ever had in my life! i would recommend a trip to Antarctica to everyone. For me it was an impulse decision, it was kinda stupid at the time but well worth it. After spending 3 months travelling through south america i found myself in Patagonia in a place called Ushuaia, also known as the end of the world as it is the most southernly city in the world. It was my penultimate day there, so i decided to have a few beers as it was my last night. after a couple of litres of beer i started talking to this cool English guy who had just booked his trip, his excitement wore off on me and the next thing i know i have run across the road to the travel agents. I woke up the next day with a sore head and a credit card statement for a lot of money.

.woops!

this impulse was the best thing ever. In a little over a week i was back in Ushuaia and about to board the Antarctic Dream with 7 people i had met in the hostel. The first 2 days of the trip were across the Drakes Passage, a notoriously dangerous stretch of sea, but as luck would have it, instead of the 30foot high waves we were told about, we had a relatively flat crossing. we then had 7 days of sailing around the Antarctic peninsula and its outer lying islands. each day we would have two, 3 hour trips onto the land. during these trips we would walk around, see penguins and seals and generally be stupid in the snow. the views are absolutely incredible, i do not have enough adjectives in my vocabulary to properly convey how amazing Antarctica is.

the group
each day was completely different, and the animal life was incredible. the weather could change by the second, so there was always a feeling of danger. i spent that week feeling like David Attenborough!

When we were back on board the ship there were still things to do. eating and drinking were particular highlights for me! lunch and dinner were both 3 course meals with free drinks. we were also given endless amounts of tea, and as an English person, this went down a treat. we were also treated to afternoon snacks which was perfect after a 3 hour stint on antarctica. In the evenings we had free time, and my friends and i had brought some wine on board with us so each evening we could go sit on the deck or in the bridge alongside the captain and look out for whales.

me sliding down the hill
Every day we saw around 3-5 whales; they are the most incredible animals in the world, so big and yet so graceful! howeverm the main highlight for me was a pod of 9 orcas swimming alongside the fornt of the boat for about 15 minutes. Orcas are rare in antarctic waters and so to see so many and so close was a memory i will never forget.

We also spent christmas on the boat, which meant we had a white christmas. the boat put up decorations, and with the drinks we had bought we had a 3 night party which was out of this world. we also found the best hangover cure too on boxing day, a swim in the waters of the soutern ocean! we went to an area which was geothermal....it wasnt! it was bloody freezing, and we could only stay in for a few minutes before we were shivering uncontrollably. but, how many poeple get to say they have swam in antarctica.

as i said at the start, this was the best experience of my life, and if anyone reads this, i hope this inspires you to go there too

Adelie Penguin