Prague Travel Blog

Prague is a beautiful city, especially in the winter. I went to Prague in February of 2005 and fell in love with the city. The eclectic architecture gives the city an historical but contemporary feel. Old Town Square is an open area where the Astronomical Clock (very anticlimactic-I was expecting something more, but a must see) is located. My friends and I ate at a restaurant on the square and even in February, at outside under heaters. Under the light snow, we enjoyed some good food and beer outside. The cathedral in the square is also magnificent.

I stayed at the L'Opera Hotel which was a step up from the hostels I would usually stay at, but very nice. From there, we took a 4 hour walking tour to get a feel for the cuty.
This is where things became tough. In 0 degree weather, walking around for four hours is not always the smartest thing to do, but it did pay off. We went to the castle and watched the changing of the guards (Buckingham Palace is better, but still interesting in Prague - the guards even smiled), we went to the Jewish Quarter and saw the saddest cemetery I've seen in  my life. In a plot of about an acre maybe more, 12,000 or so Jews were buried on top of one another. (From my recollection, it may be different numbers, but it was alot) After the four hour tour, we went for some great hot chocolate. After that, we ventured into the Sex Machines Museum. This museum is not for the faint hearted. We figured we couldn't pass it up, if nothing it would be a good story. It was interesting and disturbing all at once. For those adventurists, it's worth the trip. Overall, the city is interesting, eclectic, and exciting.