AsiaIndiaUdaipur

Recuperation

Udaipur Travel Blog

The journey to Udaipur (INR 150/£2/$3) was dull as there really isn't much to look at in these parts on the road.  I started my new book - 'Shantaram' by Gregory David Roberts.  Its one of those topical books for India, so I had to read it!  After it got dark at about 6.30pm, I couldn't read as it was dark and the last few hours dragged quite a bit.  We finally pulled into Udaipur at about 8.30pm and after a few idiot tuk-tuk drivers tried to rip me off, I managed to get into the old city around Lal Ghat.  I went to Lake View Guesthouse, where Canadian Adam was staying.  It wasn't great and looked a complete dump walking up the stairs.  The owner showed me one room and asked INR 550 for it, which I said was too much and he found another which I got down to INR 250 (£3.

The Lake Palace
50/$5), but it was on the top floor (about 5 floors up, no lift!) and was a bit grotty.  I was so tired that I couldn't be bothered to look anywhere else and the one thing it did have was a comfortable mattress.  Unfortunately, I then spent most of the night in the bathroom - I couldn't work out what had made me ill as I hadn't really eaten anything all day except crisps and biscuits on the bus.  All I knew is that I felt rough and rundown.  I then found that my toilet didn't work properly, which was probably the worst thing that could be wrong with my room!  I spoke to the owner in the morning and after threatening to leave, he put me in the original room I was shown for INR 300 a night - much better and it even had a TV, so I decided to stay.

After getting some medication from the chemist I started to feel much better, but I needed to rest and recuperate, so the furthest I got on my first full day was the internet cafe across the road.

City Palace
  That day seemed to put some life back into me and I had a good look round the old town on my last day, walking round to the other side of the lake where there is a much quieter part.  I got chatting to a local artist (Gaon) who told me all about his school and co-operative shop over a up of chai.  He obviously wanted me to buy something, but he spent a lot of time showing me their techniques (the paintings were exquisite, very detailed and I was very tempted to buy one) and just talking about his family and friends.  A nice way to spend the morning and I relaxed round by the lake reading my book and having lunch with Monica at Sunrise Cafe - she was English, but had Japanese parents and we laughed at how the Indians cannot understand that you're one nationality but have the looks and heritage of another - its an alien concept to them!

I wanted to go to the Monsoon Palace for sunset, but it clouded over late afternoon.
Inside the City Palace complex
  Instead I walked round the City Palace complex, where there were preparing for some kind of special event - the red carpet was out and everything! Dinner at Hitorical City Lake View restaurant (above the excellent Cafe Namaste) was my first proper meal for a few days and I gobbled down a face-full of food.  Definitely feeling better!
Loved this shop....!
Loved this shop....!
Udaipur Hostels review
Shabby
Tatty. Rundown. These are just two of the words you might choose when you walk through the door of Lake View. Its not great on the eyes and after a… read entire review
Udaipur