IPL fever!

Bengaluru Travel Blog

The toss, RCB v Rajasthan Royals

My main reason for passing through Bangalore was to try and fit in seeing some cricket.  The Indian Premier League is the all-singing, all-dancing showboat of cricket which attracts the biggest players in the world.  I was pretty excited about finally getting to see a game after the ticket debacle in Mumbai.

My first match was Royal Challengers Bangalore against King XI Punjab.  It was an afternoon match, so I made my way to the ground early as I know how keen the Indians get, and as it was open seating in my section, I wanted to ensure I got a good place.  The atmopshere was building around the ground with the hawkers and food-sellers showing their wares next to the guys selling fake merchandise (all in plain view of the hundred odd policemen, who did absolutely nothing!).

The atmosphere was electric!
  There was a rudimentary search before getting into the ground and rather annoying, they do not allow you to take cameras in (even though people can take mobile phones with cameras built in, into the stadium!!).  I watched the teams warm up as the stadium filled and the entertainment was great as music boomed out and the cheerleaders pumped their pom-poms - what a show!

The match was great, Kings XI Punjab posted a decent total of 203-3 in 20 overs, with my homeboy Ravi Bopara top-scoring - always good to see the Essex connection coming good!  RCB succesfully chased it down in a nailbiting finish in the last over, Jacques Kallis in good form with Robin Upattha.  The atmosphere as they got the winning runs was magic, just absolutely electric!  I went home satisfied after a great day out!

Two days later I saw my second match - the Royal Challengers were again in good form as they swept aside Shane Warne's Rajasthan Royals easily.

If you come to India, I would totally recommend going to see a match - you won't regret it!!

The atmosphere was electric!
Dale Steyn throws one down at over…
Dale Steyn throws one down at ove…
photo by: Vikram