AsiaIndiaKollam

Errr....Kollam?

Kollam Travel Blog

After a final breakfast with Birgit and Pia in Varkala, I set off. Had a bit of a run in with a tuk-tuk driver as I had to get to Varkala train station which is about 2.5km from the beach area. I knew the price should be about INR 30-40, but we set off without agreeing a price. When he dropped me off he demanded INR 70 - I wasn't having that! I handed him a 50 and said he should be happy, but he launched into a baracade of obscenities - "you f*&^%^& b*$£"$!" As I walked off he tried to grab my bag and then went to swing a punch at me...I couldn't believe it! I moved towards him and shouted back and he cowered off back to his rickshaw. That was my first experience of genuine aggression from an Indian, and I hope I don't see it again. All very bizarre!

The train to Kollam (INR 18/2nd class) was a bit delayed but it still passed pretty quickly. Got off at around lunchtime and started to walk through the town to find somewhere - god, it was baking! Looked a few which were a bit pricey and then went to Karima Residency - the basic rooms were INR 350 a night, so I took one. I went out for some lunch and found where the ferry dock was as I planned to do a backwater trip the next day. It wasn't til the evening that I realised how hard and uncomfortable my bed was - I didn't get a wink of sleep and so I decided I couldn't be doing any boat trips and decided to head straight up to Kochi. I've definitely felt traveller tiredness kick in the last month or so - its hard to keep going all the time and get yourself up for going and seeing new things. I think I just need a few days to kick back until Vicky gets here to join me for the Rickshaw Run adventure - now, that ain't going to be relaxing!

Kollam