AsiaIndiaVarkala

Birthday in the sun

Varkala Travel Blog

View from the clifftop

So I eventually arrived in Varkala at about 4.30pm. It had taken me nearly all day to cover about 60km! I quickly caught a tuk-tuk to the beach area (INR 30) and then proceeded to walk round what seemed like hundreds of guesthouses trying to find a decent one with a comfy bed....not easy! all this in 32 degree heat with a backpack = sweaty man. I stumbled upon an unnamed house right on the beach road and the friendly family offered me a clean, tidy room for INR 300 - deal! Finally, a cold shower!

Varkala has a stunning setting. I had arrived expecting a dirty beach town and what I found was something else entirely. This little piece of Kerala is not to be missed! The restuarants and guesthouses are all at the top of a cliff road that spectacularly overlooks the gold sand beach - from almost everywhere you can enjoyed the peaceful, gorgeous sunsets.

On the beach at sunset
After one such sunset, I was wandering past one of the seafood restaurants when I heard my name being called from above - it was Birgit, my German friend! Yet another coincidental meeting! she was with another travel friend, Pia and we immediately tucked into a cheeky cocktail or two. They were pretty strong and I think we all felt a little bit tipsy after a couple! The next few days were spent in a nice simple routine - breakfast at Cafe del Mar, down to the beach for some swimming and sunbathing and dinner accompanied by a few cocktails - its a tough life!

My final day in Varkala also happened to be my 31st birthday and we celebrated in style with a typically relaxed day on the beach....well, until Pia mangled her foot in the sea - emeergency! She had a pretty nasty cut and blood was pouring everywhere. Birgit and I had to escort her back up to the cliff and to their guesthouses where we laid her in the bath and did the best we could to stem the flow of blood - "get that leg up Pia!". Luckily the blood stopped and we managed to patch her up enough to go out for some sunset birthday cocktails...and a few more!

Pias mangled foot
Pia's mangled foot
Birthday meal with Birgit and Pia!
Birthday meal with Birgit and Pia!
Varkala