Pit Stop in KL

Kuala Lumpur Travel Blog

The strange things you see in Asia!
After I bought my ticket to KL and met up with Bart while we were in Singapore, he decided to do the same since we were going the same way and all. We were feeling pretty pumped about the VIP seats for $30SGD or $21US, but upon boarding around half past eleven we were a little disappointed as none of the fifty buttons in our grasp worked. There had to be something wrong and there was. They didn't want people to fall asleep before customs since we had to get out of the bus two times, once at the Singapore border and then again at the Malaysian border. It was a quick in and out, but we had to take all of our stuff with us for it to be scanned and checked. After that it was a nice ride with comfy seats that reclined all the way back and individual TVs with a good selection of English movies we could watch.
On the VIP bus...whoot whoot!
I didn't get much sleep because I started watching a movie about child soldiers in Africa and by the time I did doze off, it seemed like a second and we were already there. It was just 5am when the bus dropped us off in the Golden Triangle district about 20 minutes east of the city center, so we grabbed a coffee and looked in Bart's Lonely Planet for cheap places to stay. Walking around with a 15kg pack for an hour or so was tiring and lead us to Pondok Lodge for $32 Ringgets or $10US each a night. The cozy feeling and the rooftop garden terrace sold us being completely exhausted and just wanting a bed.

It probably would've been ideal if we had gone to KL first and then Singapore because after Singapore everything seemed pretty dirty. Sleeping away the hottest part of the day gave us enough energy to get up and explore a bit of the city.
Bart
Although KL is the fastest growing in the country, it still is pretty small compared to the rest of Asia with about 1.6 million people. We jumped on the monorail, a change coming from other parts of Asia with a well-developed subway system, and headed towards the city center. We walked around KL Sentral for awhile and then we decided to check out the National Museum. It was interesting to learn a little bit about Malaysian history even if it was only a brief introduction with an hour to walk around. After the museum, we walked towards the city center and decided to check out the different areas. KL definitely had a different feel as Malaysia is predominantly Muslim, but it was still welcoming and interesting to see. I only wish I would've met some local friends to hang out with because I don't think I really got to experience the true essence of the city.
KL Sentral

I did get a chance to see the Petronas Towers, the third tallest buildings after Taipei 101 and now the Burge Dubai. They were beautifully lit at night, a nice sight to see. We walked around Little India and Chinatown, for the second time and probably not the last, stopping by a Chinese restaurant to eat where I tricked them into thinking I was Chinese with my amazing speaking abilities (haha). I had Kung Pao chicken, not the same as home and definitely pronounced differently. I didn't get to try much Malaysian food except for some greasy goodness along the streets. I did try a sandwich stand and chose the chicken special, which consisted of a chicken patty that was wrapped in a fried egg with cabbage, cucumber, tomato, and chili sauce on top. It was delicious!

Next time, I'm definitely checking out the rest of Malaysia as I've heard many wonderful things!
The National Museum