Mini Golf - Beach - Hard Rock Cafe

South Carolina Travel Blog

the Silver Bullet on the ferry

I had planned our route against going on the ferry to get across to South Carolina, for not knowing what it would be like.  But, navigator SarahBeth read Rand McNally rather than my directions, so we did go across the ferry.  This made me nervous because the previous two I'd been on (from Tarifa, Spain to Tangier, Morocco and from Discovery Bay over to Hong Kong) I definitely DID NOT like.  This wasn't like those at all.  The water was smooth and we had a pleasant ride, getting out of the car on the transit.

I had read about the lighthouses that dotted the North Carolina Coast, and I wanted to visit one.  Oak Island Lighthouse wasn't oo far out of the way, but we should have skipped it.  Oak Island is a lighthouse that was constructed by the US Coast Guar, and it was a disappointment, not at all what I expected.

After a brief (and I do mean brief) stop here, we continued on our way to Myrtle Beach.

Our first stop there was to drive through Chick-Fil-A -- YUM!!  I hadn't had that scrumptious chicken sandwich for over a year (Chick-Fil-A doesn't exist at home).  Then our quest for a motel in Myrtle Beach began.  I called the Super 8, but they wouldn't rent a room to someone under 25.  The Days Inn had a three-night minimum, and another motel was booked full.  I was beginning to lose hope, when SarahBeth suggested the Quality Inn.  We were saved! We got an oceanview room for forty dollars cheaper than what the Super 8 would have been.  The room wasn't ready yet, so we went and played a round of miniature golf, in what is the miniature golf capital of the world.

the Myrtle Beach Hard Rock Cafe
  We had so much fun!  The course ran both indoors and out, and I even got a couple holes in one!

After we checked into the hotel, we walked across the street to the beach.  It was overcast, so it wasn't the greatest weather to lay out in, but we did swim in the ocean.  At one point, I got caught in the tide and thought I was going to drown.  I didn't panic, and I'm an okay swimmer, but I did retreat back to the beach after that.  But, still, a bad day at the beach is still better than any day at home!

Once we'd had our fill of the beach, we went back to the motel to get cleaned up.  We went to the Hard Rock Cafe for dinner.  The line was out the door, with about a 45-minute wait, while it was raining.  Luckily, we were seated practically immediately because we were a party of two.  This is probably one of my favorite Hard Rocks.  Afterwards, we souvenir shopped and then rode out what seemed to be a hurricane.

waiting for the ferry