All I Wanna Do is See the Ocean

North Carolina Travel Blog

As we were getting ready in the motel this morning, SarahBeth saw an advertisement for the Biltmore Estate in North Carolina.  I had wondered about going there because it's listed in 1000 Things to See Before you Die guidebook.  Asheville would be on our way to the coast, so we agreed to tour the Biltmore.

The Biltmore Estate is far more impressive than any castle I've seen in Europe (which amounts to Chenonceau and Chambord in France, Windsor in England and some in Spain and Italy).  I was in awe that this place was actually in America.  We toured the estate, but they had to close the third and fourth floors due to someone becoming overheated and the paramedics had to come through.

We left Asheville, driving east on 40.  There were treacherous downpours and much more traffic than I expected on a Sunday afternoon.

But, I had one goal in mind: to see the Atlantic Ocean for the first time.  I had flown over it six times, but had never physically seen it.  I'd always managed to be in the very middle seat of the airplanes, or it was pitchblack, so I never had seen it.  I was bound and determined to accomplish that goal.

We ended the day's drive in Wilmington, in the southeast corner of North Carolina and went to Wrightsville Beach.  This is where I did indeed see the banks of the Atlantic for the first time, at 23 years of age.  I was in love.  The beach was gorgeous, and the blue horizon perfect.  Plus, there were only a handful of people there, so it wasn't crowded at all, making me even happier.

Enjoying the beach, I finally relented to go because we still had to find a motel.  We should have been five minutes away from the Super 8 I knew about, but it took us an hour because the address wasn't marked as being on Business 17, and we were on Route 17.  Once we finally found it, we didn't like the area, so we continued on to a Days Inn that didn't seem as shady.

the Silver Bullet in North Carolina
the Silver Bullet in North Carolina
part of the road trip... fillin up
part of the road trip... fillin' up