Ala Moana Beach and Diamond Head

Honolulu Travel Blog

Packing for the beach is something new to me. I can get ready to go wakeboarding, skydiving, rock climbing, or to work out in about 5 minutes and never forget any of the things I need to bring. The beach, not so much. I awoke to the sunshine and found my swimsuit and a blue jean skirt, grabbed a towel and thought I was ready to go. Wrong! Thankfully, Alex came to the rescue with all the right questions, "Sunscreen?" No. "Sunglasses?" No. "Camera?" Left it at home. "Drink?" Oh that would be great! "Snacks?" Oh yea those too! He grabbed one of his sister's beach bag, shook his head, and loaded us all up, and after a stop at McDonalds for breakfast, and another stop at Safeway for Monster, Gatorade, cookies, gummy candy, and SPF 50 sunscreen, we finally headed out for Ala Moana beach.

Ala Moana beach is just down the coast from Waikiki beach. The crystal clear water was shinning in the sun and inviting me in, so I plunged ahead. The cold water hit me like a wall. Fortunately, though, the water just feels cold when you first step into it. Even I, someone who gets cold way too easily and stays cold all the time, was able to play in it without whining.

We layed on the beach and soaked in the sun, talked about our lives and how beautiful Hawaii was, and challenged each other at games on our iphones, then headed out to explore. We drove throught he Waikiki beach area, which was densely populate with tourists and high end shopping centers. The roads were lined with palm trees and the hotels were all extravagant with outdoor fountains and beautiful landscaping. We continued down the strip out towards the famous Diamond Head crater. Driving up I was astonished by the beautiful flowers lining the road and the amazing view of the ocean below. We pulled over at a viewing point and walked over the railing onto the cliffs to look out along the beach. Surfers enjoyed the sun and the waves below up and the beach stretched out infront of us. It was simply breathtaking. After some picture taking, and cactus carving, we made our way back down and into the beautiful architecture of downtown Honolulu.
Honolulu