Day 2. History, mystery and chemistry

Stonehenge Travel Blog

We had to wake up early, skip breakfast (unfortunately) and drive straight to Stonehenge. The thing is you can visit it during the day but you can’t come closer - there is just a circle path around it which is not cool at all, especially for real travelers. We were lucky to have the inner circle booked!!!The English Heritage was naïve enough to give us an official permission to visit it. That’s why we had to be there by 8 am. The road was free and we seemed to be the only people (and crazy ones) who wanted to drive at 7.30 on December 31st, but when we arrived at the place we saw some fellow travelers. We had to leave our warm car and joined other people.

We crossed the street and appeared on a field with rocks at some distance…Stonehenge.

We approached it and could cross the line with a ‘no admittance’ sign. Woo-hooo! “Don’t touch anything”, the security woman said. Well, it was pretty hard for Dave the History Lover not to do it but me not wanting to spend the rest of holidays visiting him in English jail made him less adventurousJ We were walking between stones trying to solve this many centuries old mystery what they were used for. It was windy, cold and I felt like I was within a saga. An odd feeling. Then we met a British-American couple who asked to take a pic of them, Dave did it with great pleasure and (as usual) started a conversation which brought me back to the real world and the 21st century. I looked at the horizon line and was amazed: the sun was rising up. Step after step it lighted the rocks and Stonehenge showed to us its full glory. Awesome! Eternal sun, ancient and mysterious stones and us, mortal, enjoying it in the morning of the last day of 2009. Unforgettable…  As we were walking back to our car, I looked back at Stonehenge again to keep it in my memory, then Dave took my hand and we headed to Salisbury to continue our adventures.

TIP: If you plan to visit Stonehenge long in advance try to book the inner circle. Some B&B’s and travel agencies in the area can provide some info and help you with that. Visiting Stonehenge during opening hours lacks lots of its pleasure.

Marinushka says:
Really? I didn't know that:)))
Posted on: Nov 15, 2010
jeffsanfran says:
Booking the "Inner Circle" sounds like a great idea! I heard they open Stonehenge up (it is not roped off) for the summer solstice as well.
Posted on: Nov 14, 2010
mslellen says:
I never realized we will be so close to Stonehenge when we are on our trip. Thank you for your tip! We will be sure to visit here too!
Posted on: Feb 06, 2010
The cowboy and his horse:)
The cowboy and his horse:)
Stonehenge