AsiaJapanTokyo

Watching a Judo Tournament at the Kodakan

Tokyo Travel Blog

Me with my face mask so I don't spread my germs, but if you look behind me you'll notice several other locals wearing their masks too - I fit right in

On Thursday, I wasn’t feeling well at all. I had been up all night sick and decided to take it easy this day. Larry kept telling me I was going to get him sick, so I decided to get a face mask and wear it like the locals here do. First we went to a lunch buffet at the hotel. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute at the chocolate fondue bar. We coated bananas, éclairs, and pound cake in chocolate. Larry and I were like two children at the fondue bar.

Then we walked to the pharmacy where I got cold medicine (recommended by the receptionist at the concierge desk) and a pack of face masks. I took my medicine and put on my face mask and off we went to the Kodokan, the International Judo Center. Larry was so excited to visit this place since he practices Judo himself and has been doing so since he was a young boy.

Heading to the Kodokan
They were having a monthly tournament on Thursday, so it was the perfect day to check it out. We planned on visiting the Judo museum first, then watching the tournament.

We took the train to the Kodokan, which is near the Tokyo Dome (sort of like the Baltimore Arena in Tokyo). It wasn’t very far, just a few stops away by train.

On our way there, Larry noted that all he needed to do was get me to wear my black flip flops with my white socks, and then with my face mask and all, I’d really look like a local.

The Judo museum was empty. There was only one family there (a French family). We walked around quietly and learned about Judo. Larry commented on everything he read and saw.

Larry at the Kodokan
He was in his element. Then we went to the tournament, where we saw several matches. Larry enjoyed watching all the black belts. The tournament was for only 2nd Dans and higher, so it was only black belts competing. Some of those guys looked huge! I dozed off for a bit during the matches. At one point a gentleman near me heard me coughing and immediately put his face mask on (this also happened at the Kabuki-za Theater – the lady next to me heard me sneeze a few times and after the second time, she put her face mask on). Larry told me that was smart of them and I didn’t take it personal. Another thing we noticed is at the entrance to many stores and hotels (even our hotel) there are tables with bottles of Purrell and other hand sanitizers for people to clean their hands before entering shops and hotels.

After the judo tournament, we decided to go back to the hotel to relax. It was a low key day for us.

linn says:
Was my picture up in the Kodokan? You know I am quite infamous in the Judo circuit, and I have wondered if I am Japanese.
Posted on: Mar 03, 2010
Me with my face mask so I dont sp…
Me with my face mask so I don't s…
A judo tournament