Arriving in Bangkok, Thailand

Bangkok Travel Blog

Arrival at the Bangkok airport went very smoothly. Everything was very well organized at the airport. As soon as I exited customs, I saw a booth that said Airport Transportation or Taxi and I was able to book a taxi to the hotel quickly. The fee they charged me was 1100 Baht (which is a tad bit over 30 US dollars).

I got the hotel late in the evening, checked in and settled in my room. On my way to the hotel, I saw a lot of prostitutes on the streets. The area I happen to be staying in is a chic area filled with many tourists, I learned. At the hotel entrance, I saw many men that appeared to be tourists with women that appeared to be locals. It reminded me a bit of Cuba, where it was common to see older European men with 14 year old Cuban women and Cuban prostitutes.

I later asked one of the cab drivers about this and he told me it’s common for Thai women to want to impress tourist males. He said for many Thai women, falling in love with a tourist and leaving Thailand is their goal. This allows them to have better opportunities in the future.

I was a bit worried for some reason when I got to the hotel, because for some reason I was confused about Larry’s flight. When I got to the hotel late on Saturday night (2/27) I learned there had been an 8.8 magnitude earthquake in Chile, and they were alerting several areas to evacuate because there was possibility of a Tsunami. Japan was one of the countries who was receiving warnings. At first I thought Larry had a layover in Japan, but I quickly realized this was not the case, so then I was relieved.

I went to bed soon after I got to the hotel.

hernandezvero says:
Ha ha! Yes, I see this now. And there are a lot of "ladyboys" too. Wow!
Posted on: Mar 07, 2010
traveller142009 says:
Now my previous comment to you makes sense:-)
Posted on: Mar 04, 2010