The Apartheid Museum

Johannesburg Travel Blog

At the Apartheid Museum

On Saturday morning, Sha picked us up and took us to the airport in Cape Town. Two hours later, we were back in Johannesburg meeting Fix. Fix had agreed to pick us up, take us to the Apartheid Museum in Johannesburg (which I had really wanted to see since I had arrived, but it had been closed when we first went). He was going to wait for us to visit the museum. He was going to hold on to our luggage, then bring us back to the airport for our flights onward.

Sure enough, Fix showed up. He took us to the museum. The museum was depressing. It was so sad to learn about how Apartheid got its start. It's amazing how people can mistreat other humans, and deem other people inferior because of the color of their skin.

Entering the museum as a white person
People start out with an identity card for a black or non-black person. Then you go through separate paths to see more people that were in your category.

The museum has a section that depicts and tells the history of South Africa, its leaders and how the census bureau in the 40s and 50s began to racially categorize people. Then there's a whole section also dedicated to Nelson Mandela.

It was a quiet afternoon. Connie and I walked around just absorbing it all and learning as much as possible.

Then Fix took us back to the airport. Unfortunately, Connie and I were so tired, we both fell sleep while Fix battled traffic. Fix told us, when he arrived, that we were boring that day. Ha ha!!!

At the airport, Connie and I ordered burgers (YIPPEEE!). My beef burger was yummy.

Signs on the museum
Her chicken burger was apparently good too.

We walked around, did a little bit of shopping and then parted ways. Connie headed to her gate to catch her flight to Baltimore and I went to sit at gate A18 for my flight to Dubai.

As I reflected on my week in South Africa, I realized how much I enjoyed my stay there. The local people were so hospitable. They were open and willing to teach us about South Africa and its people. Everyone here was easy to talk to and overall I had a good time. Connie was such an easy person to travel with. I couldn't have asked for a better week!

I want to come back with my husband so he can see what a great place this is. Connie and I both agreed we'd love to bring our husbands back. Maybe we'll plan a trip in the near future.

At the Apartheid Museum
Entering the museum as a white per…
Entering the museum as a white pe…
Outside again