Preparing for Phase 1

Joppa Travel Blog

Preparing for my adventure... reading books about the cities I'll be visiting and staying in, though I'll take some side trips.

I've always wanted to see "the world". Every year, I make a list of my goals. On the top of that list you'll normally find "Trip Around the World". For as long as I can remember, that's been a goal of mine at the beginning of every year. At the end of every year in the past, however, I've moved that goal to the following year's goal list. So I decided about a year ago - after my husband hurt his knee and we realized he wasn't going to be able to take a long period of time off from work to accompany me and help me reach this goal - that I need to break this goal up into several "bite-size" pieces. On this year's goal list, I added "Trip Around the World Phase 1 - South Africa, India, Japan, China and Thailand". Dubai made its way on the list when I realized all flights from South Africa to India stopped in Dubai.

I figured, "Ah, what the hec... why not?"

There are other phases to this adventure... Phase 2 consists of Portugal and France (my mother and I have already arranged to go in a few months). Phase 3 consists of Greece, Egypt and Morocco. Phase 4 includes some areas in South America and Phase 5 includes areas in Central America. Finally, Phase 6 will take me to Australia and New Zealand.

But for now, let's focus on Phase 1.

I decided to leave my job to embark on this adventure. It felt weird leaving my job yesterday. When I was debating whether or not I could actually leave my job to accomplish this goal, a good friend said to me, "A job will always be there. This opportunity will not always be there." My husband then encouraged me to chase this dream and accomplish my goal... instead of re-writing it on next year's list. Things all fell into place in a neat sort of way (I'll spare you the details). So I am officially unemployed now. I haven't been unemployed since I was 14. I guess it's time for a break and some fun!

This week, I'll focus on finishing up hotel arrangements, activities/expedition planning and packing... oh... and trying to get a visa for China. I keep getting turned away at the embassy so hopefully I'll have better luck on Monday, now that I've gathered 10 pounds of documentation from the bank, employer (ex-employer that is), etc.

Enough writing... time to continue trip planning!

jethanad says:
great feature, helps keep me going !
rrsuby25rs says:
Wow, check out my wifey being featured on TravBuddy for her blogging! Keep it up!
traveller142009 says:
Congrats on your feature and your adventure. We will be following you throughout your adventure as you blog your way along. Keep up the good job in keeping us updated with all those interesting details :-)
Posted on: Feb 09, 2010
Preparing for my adventure... read…
Preparing for my adventure... rea…
photo by: hernandezvero