A day in London

London Travel Blog

On my way back to Hawaii from Norway I decided to make a short stop in London. It had been 5 years since I went there so I figured it was about time.

I stayed at a hostel called piccadilly backpackers. This is where I stayed 5 years ago when I was in London with some friends, and it has defidently improved. However, I liked the feeling of the way it was before a little better. They used to have big black and white photographs of people like Marilyn Manroe and Elvis in the halls, now I didn't see them. That is just a small thing, but that was something I liked about the place. Now it is much more modern and very nice. It is clean, the staff was very nice, and it is in a great location. From piccadilly circus you can get anywhere and fast.

I only had a day, but with the underground I got to see a lot anyways.

Coming from the airport, since I didn't have a lot of time, I decided to take the express train to Paddington and the underground to Piccadilly  circus from there. It only took about 15 minutes, but I thought it was a little expencive at £18 for a one way ticket from Heathrow to Paddington and then £4 for a ticket from Paddington to Piccadilly circus, but then you get into London fast, and since I wanted to walk around and have a look, I wanted to get into the city as soon as possible.

I started out with taking the undergound to Leicester square.

It was not far to walk, but since I am not familiar in the city and probably would get lost since my sense of direction is nowhere to be found, I took the underground. By the way, the day-pass for the underground you can buy is really cheap. I think it was £5-6. At Leichester square I found te TKTS booth where I bought a ticket to Oliver Twist. If you are going there, just remember, there a lot of fake tickets you can be unlucky enough to buy, so I would only trust the TKTS booth.

I then went to London bridge and saw the tower bridge from there. I actually thought that London bridge was tower bridge, but I guess I was wrong... I took some pictures and the I continued to Big Ben and the parliment building. It was starting to get dark, so since I don't have a tripod, I had to hurry to be able to take some decent pictures.

I think I want to buy a gorillapod, since they are easier to carry with you if you are travelling so have to check the prices in Hawaii.

After the parliment building I saw Westminster abbey and tried to find Buckingham Palace by foot. I didn't want to get lost, even though I already had no idea where I was, and I had to get back to the hostel, so after 10 minutes I went back to the underground station. I took it to green park and there of course they said that that was the station to get off to see Buckimham palace, but then I didn't have time to go see it, so I continued to the hostel to change clothes and the went to covent garden to have dinner and see the musical.

Oliver Twist was a good musical, but not the best I have seen. Sometimes I thought it was a little slow, but some of the numbers were amazing!

On my way back to the airport I took the regualar underground which took a little less than an hour which I didn't mind and it was a lot cheaper than the express, only £4,50 the whole way, so I recommend doing this if you have time.

All in all it was a very good day in London!

London Hostels review
I stayed at the same hostel as I stayed at 5 years ago when I went to London and it has defidently improved. The location is the very best thing about… read entire review