Fair Verona, the jewel in Italy's crown

Verona Travel Blog

Fair Verona

From the outset we knew we were going to enjoy Verona. One of the first things we appreciated was that we didn't get hopelessly lost trying to find the city centre and were soon scouring for a hotel. Even though there is a driving ban in central areas, if you're a hotel guest you can get a pass that exempts you from the fine. We quickly found a charming place that wasn't too expensive and were also able to park nearby in one of their reserved spaces. After that it was a matter of Milt and I splitting up for a while so we could venture off and do our own thing for a bit (he needed to email back home and I wanted to take some photos), so off I went in search of one of Verona's main 'sights'... a dodgy balcony with the most tenuous links to Shakespeare's Juliette that you could ever hope for.

Fair Verona
Yet it is still enormously popular, perhaps because of its cheesy claims, and I wasn't going to miss the opportunity to check it out. There is also a statue of Juliette under the balcony. You're supposed to rub her breast for luck ;)

Verona itself, balconies aside, is utterly delightful. Beautiful streets, great shopping, an authentic Italian feel, and friendly atmosphere made us feel completely at home and we even got our share of beautiful views and historic ruins.

After reconvening in the hotel a few hours later, Milt and I asked the extraordinarily friendly lady on reception for a recommendation for dinner... and she didn't let us down. Hidden in a back street was a delightful restaurant that served, hands down, the best meal I've ever had; a gnocchi in mascarpone sauce. It was so good I thought we were going to die from the sheer heaven of it and it completely redefined the standards to which I now hold truly delicious food.

The remainder of our stay in Verona was equally as enjoyable and we decided to spend a little more time exploring the city the following morning before heading off boldly for Venice...

Juliettes balcony