Welcome To Europe

Germany Travel Blog

I remember as a little girl I woul watch the travel channel, hear stories about Europe from my relatives, and read about going to Europe and seeing all of the interesting things this continent has to offer...Eiffel Tower, Big Ben, The Colosseum, variety of languages, food, etc.

We'll I got my chance once I re-enlisted for Germany in Iraq.  I remember when I came back from Iraq and saw my family for the first time in one year. I was sitting on the porch smoking a cigarette and thinking, "I wonder if I am going to like Germany...???" All kinds of things raced through my mind. Things of regret, self-discovery, a love for different cultures, and most of all a new world of opportunities.

After a long 7 hour flight from D.C., I get off the plane and I am in FRANKFURT, GERMANY!!!! I was so excited!! I couldn't believe I was finally in Europe. It's like a dream come true.

Now let's step ahead to the future. I have been here for almost a year and a half now. Do I still like Germany? It's alright I guess. Maybe because I haven't been to all of the places that I have wanted to go. Don't get me wrong...I have done some traveling. But with my crazy work schedule, the high and pricy exchange rate (and the amount of money I have everytime I get paid), and waiting for my fiance' to get his passport (and being patient with him concerning his lack of culture,  being cheap, and laziness), I have been sitting in the barracks pretty much and it's finally getting on my last nerve!! Also the weather is crazy! Today was the first day I have seen the sun in about a month. And boy was it a beautiful sight to see!

One thing I do regret coming here is purchasing a house in the states so soon. I wish I could of waited after I got back so I could use that money to travel and explore Europe. It's great to have my own house, especially once I get out of the military and settle but right now I am not enjoying my house and I am staying in the barracks all of the time because of it. I am living the here and now and I should of followed my heart.

I have a lot of time here left in Germany and I don't want to waste the time I have here looking at walls. That would be my worst regret of all time and I would feel like a failure for coming to Europe. I came here to discover, cherish, and have the European experience that I hear everybody talk about. I want to say, "Mi Amor" in Spain, "C'est la vie" in Paris, and call somebody a "bloak" in London.

I have been waiting for this moment all my life!

Any military personnel reading this blog should take my advice:

1. Don't be a home body. Get out and see the different cultures in front of you.

2. Don't make any big purchases before coming to Europe. Live your life here and enjoy it without any worries or limitations.

**Tijera