AsiaIndia

Pondicherry

Pondicherry Travel Blog

I was excited about this trip for two reasons; firstly as it was going to be my first ever road trip and 2nd because of Pondicherry's French connection. I had never been France so this was the quickest and cheapest option to explore French culture in India. The reason for choosing bike as a convence was because of ECR a.k.a East Cost Road's scenic beauty. It is parallel to Eastern cost of India facing Bay of Bengal. We started on our two Bike from my friend's house in Chennai and soon cruzing on very well maintained highway. We stopped on some places to have a view of deserted virgin beaches and belive me the view was spectacular.
Me with my friend
We saw many salt factories and back waters on the way.We reached Pondicherry in three hours with a comfortable ride. Distacne between Chennai and Pondicherry (now known as Puducherry) is 140Km.

Immediately after reaching there we started searching for accomodation and soon we found Hotel Kanchi near to Gandhi beach. We wanted to stay near to French colony to feel the exprience. At first look hotel was clean and tidy and surprsingly room was also very good and spacious. It was a good deal to have AC double bed room @ 850/day including tax. Unfortunately it does not have any room service I guess may be that was the reason behind its rates.

In first look Pondicherry was a quite town with clean and tidy streets which is bit uncommon in India. Lots of foreginer mostly of French nationality can be found on streets which is again uncommon because they are not tourists rather they are permanent citizen of India.
Early morning coffe in Le Cafe
Pondicherry used to be French colony once upon a time and its influence is very much visible till today; be it a street name in french, building architecture, food, culture and many more. Its also famous for Rishi Aurobindo ashram and Auroville. Rishi Aurobindo was a great Indian spiritual person and he has setup an Ashram here in Pondicherry which attaracts many people from and outside India.

Gandhi beach is a central tourist attaraction here which looks very similar to Marine drive of Bombay. A big statue of Mahtma Gandhi is standing on beach side facing city as if giving message of peace to whole world. Traffic is restricted during evening time on this road and its always full of tourists. Most attaractive is roadside buildings which are perfect example of influence of Franch rule in Pondicherry.
Sun rise in Bay of Bengal
If you get tired while roaming then perfect place to relax have a sip of coffe is 'Le Cafe' which is a sea facing coffe shop with loads of varieties of coffe,ice cream and other snacks. Its better to exploer this place on walk or on bicycle which you can rent on per day basis. Area near by Gandhi beach is known as French colony, all street sign boards are in French and Tamil. Lots of coffe shop and restaurents are there in that area which offeres French,Italian,Continental food. There are couple of pubs are also there which playes live band(jazz,solo piano,solo guitar), I guess best day is saturday evening for this.

Aurobindo ashram is very near to Gandhi beach. This is samadhi sthal of rishi Aurobindo, a very quite place and perfect for meditation and speding some quality time with yourself.
Gandhi Beach
You are not suppose to talk/chat inside and once you go inside even you will not feel like talking anymore. Whole place is decoarated with lots of flower pots and you can find many poeple are sittting beside samadhi and meditating. There is not much to exploer rather there is lot much to feel.

Auroville is small township situated 7-8 Kms from Pondicherry on ECR which is based on fantastic concept of "One unified world". This is the brainchild of The Mother, a motherly figure in Aurobindo ashram. This is spreaded across hundreds of acres and any one can come and stay here but some rules and protocols has to be follow for that. This is again place to feel rather than explore. Main attaraction of Auroville is The golden dom or better known as Matri Mandir. Matri Mandir is circular shaped meditation hall which is a soul Auroville according to cofounders.
Gloden Dome in Auroville

Pondicherry is not a typical tourist place where you go and see many exciting place, infact its a place to stay for a couple of days and to give your soul a much needed break from your hectic work schedule. In my suggestion go to Pondicherry, take a bi-cycle on rent and explore this small town by means of seeing sunset in Bay of Bengal or evening walk in French colony or a cup of late in coffe shops. I saw one board in town which sates " Give me break - Pondicherry" , I found this very much true.
ted332 says:
Does Air Asia still fly from KL to Pondicherry?
Posted on: Jan 28, 2010
ECR Highway
ECR Highway
Pondicherry Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
An evening in Pondicherry
After whole day spenind in sea we were looking for some place where we can relax and have some decent food with a glass of beer. We were searching res… read entire review