Quick update from Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

Hi everybody!

It has taken me quite some time to write on my travel blog. But here is a quick update + some pictures from my trip so far.

The first days I stayed in Bangkok, mostly working but also visiting some friends and also meeting new people. When I arrived Chiang Mai, representatives from the school where already there to pick me up, and I got a warm welcome -  as always. The first week was very busy with working for my company full time and also making teaching plans for my stay here. Last time I had almost 5 weeks dedicated to the organization, while this time I will do both teaching and also work 50% for my company. So every day needs to be planned more carefully than last time. I also got visitors from abroad in the beginning of my stay here, and we went to different places in Thailand + enjoying Chiang Mai.

The water project that both I and my company have been supporting is making progress. Last time I was here we built one big water tank in a pond at the farm outside Chiang Mai. One tank can take approx 175.000 liters of water. This time we have enough money to start building 4 more. So hopefully the project will be finished before I leave in late April. Having these 5 tanks ready for the rain season later this year makes it possible to collect up to 870.000 liters of water. The water will be used for watering the plants in the farm. In addition they have a well which they use for drinking water. I have also installed wireless network at the farm now, using a 3G card+ a wireless router. Great for visitors, employees and me when I need to go online.

This week I have been installing 3 laptops which I brought from Norway. I total we have 6 laptops which will be used exclusively for teaching. Last time I brought 5 laptops, but 2 are broken already. Luckily we will have 6 more arriving soon from a German volunteer + an international school here in Chiang Mai. I will make a full inventory list and try to keep the equipment in a safe place. Thais are not very good at taking care of things, and it’s a little frustrating to discover that some of the equipment from last time is broken or disappeared.

Well, that’s it for now. I will write more later!

sleepingsunshine says:
Looking forward for more updates! And pictures too!
Posted on: Mar 03, 2010